Keeping Up With Obamacare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

One of the hottest topics filling your social media right now is Obamacare, otherwise known as the health care reform, the Affordable Care Act, or the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (whew that was a mouthful). Whatever you call it, what does it all mean? WTF is it? Does it affect you?

Don’t worry, I am here to help explain Obamacare in the easiest (and only) way I know how to…with Kardashian GIFs, obviously.

First things first – “Obamacare” is actually the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Either way you say it — acronym or not– it’s awkward and long, so we’ll stick to calling it Obamacare.

President Obama first signed Obamacare into law in March 2010, which made health care more affordable for everyone. People that have health insurance don’t have to worry about high medical costs, because the insurance plans that they already have pay for most of them. What happens to the people whose jobs don’t provide health insurance? The people without jobs? Some of them are so poor they qualify for Medicaid, which the state and the Federal government pay for. People who are 65 or older go on Medicare, which is mostly paid for by the Federal government.

But, what about the people who make too much money for Medicaid, are too young for Medicare, and are self-employed or don’t get insurance from their jobs? This means that they have to pay for their own insurance, and it’s usually very expensive. Often, they just go without insurance and take their chances. Some people have a chronic illness, called a “preexisting condition,” and many insurance companies won’t take them. This is where Obamacare comes in.

Remember the whole government shutdown thing? Well, that actually had a lot to do withObamacare. Every year, Congress must agree on (and pass) a budget for the year, which basically decides how much money our government is going to spend and on what. Well, the House (Republican controlled) and the Senate (Democrat controlled) could not agree on the budget this year. Why? Because the House really hates the idea of Obamacare, and they don’t think that any government money should be spent funding Obamacare. So, until they could come to an agreement, the government would be shutdown.

You still with me?

Stay focused!

So after the whole government shutdown incident, the House and the Senate agreed on a budget, and Obamacare was passed.

So, when the bill was finally passed, Democrats were like…

But Republicans were all like…

Now it’s time for the bread and butter…

Open enrollment for Obamacare started on Oct. 1st, 2013, and will be closed on March 31st, 2014. But, a lot of young women (like you) are probably still wondering why all of this matters, or if it will even affect them.

Well first of all, starting in 2014, Obamacare allows you to stay on your parents’ health care policy until you turn 26. This won’t make you parents current rates go up, and you can even stay covered if you’re married. But, your parents are like…

Under Obamacare, women are also entitled to free preventive care- this includes birth control! This means your insurance is required to cover all breast and cervical cancer screenings, contraception, sexually transmitted infections testing and counseling, and other services without charging a copayment.

Also, you can’t be rejected for having a “pre-existing condition”, but your health premiums may vary based on different factors.

On top of that,  (probably my favorite benefit) a woman can’t be charged more than a man! Currently, many insurance companies charge women more than men for individual coverage.

Amen, sista!              

So of course men are like…

But women are all like…

Of course, Obamacare is still new and has some kinks that need to be worked out. But, all of the bickering over it is getting so old.

It’s important to know the facts and how Obamacare affects you. If you’re wondering how to get covered, here’s how. There are three different ways: You can go through your employer, the government (Medicaid or Medicare) or buy your own through a private insurer. If you want to learn more, visit HealthCare.Gov

Unless it’s your health…

Anastasha is a senior at Central Michigan University. She is studying public relations and journalism. She is from a small town called Holt which is just south of Lansing, MI. Anastasha is both a politics and sports enthusiast. She is also a dedicated runner and a chocolate and wine connoisseur.