Inexpensive Spring Break Ideas for Last Minute Planners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Like myself, many of us are expert procrastinators even when it comes to something as exciting as Spring Break. We decide that we will wait to see what our friends are doing, or we convince ourselves that it is okay to wait a week to book a trip, that then turns into a month. Just like that, the time flies by and we start to panic because we realize we have made zero progress and have nothing planned.

Here are some of my suggestions for those of you who want to get away, but without spending an arm and a leg to do so.

The first destination is Chicago, Illinois. It is fairly close, but still far enough to feel like you are able to escape the chaos that includes school, work, family, or all three. It is pretty cheap since you can drive and split the cost of a hotel and gas with friends. Plus, there is some pretty great shopping to be done with the money you have saved by not joining some of your other friends on their expensive cruise or trip to Mexico. They may be coming back with a tan, but you will have some great new purchases and most likely a happy bank account (depending on how much you decide to splurge!). However, even if you are not the shopping type, there is always the Cheesecake Factory and the Shedd Aquarium to visit, because who doesn’t love cheesecake and dolphins?

If Chicago didn’t catch your attention, then maybe a cozy trip Up North will have you excited. Whether you love skiing and snowboarding, or are all about waterparks, there is plenty for you to do Up North! Just like the previous suggestion, you are able to save money by driving and splitting a room with friends. A bonus for the snow bunnies out there; a hot tub after a long day of hitting the slopes! This trip is fairly inexpensive, but depending on how you decide to approach it, filled with tons of relaxation or outdoor activities. This is a sure win if you are on a budget and don’t want to be tempted with the shopping in Chicago!

If you are willing to spend a little more cash, here are a few options that will get you that bronzed tan we all wish to return with after Spring Break!

Florida! Although it is very typical and popular place to venture to, it is still warm and can be cost effective if you get a group and drive down together. Also, who doesn’t love going to the beach and maybe a trip to Disney World, depending on where you decide to settle down?

Next up, Panama City Beach! Do you love a beach party? Do you love being surrounded by college kids looking for a good time? If you answered yes to either of these, then this could be the place for you! Though it is a bit on the more pricey side if you are on a budget, there are plenty of ways to cut down the costs.

1.     Take the bus down

2.     Split a hotel room

3.     Don’t eat out every meal

Last on the list is Nashville, Tennessee. This is a chance to channel your inner country girl, slip on your boots, and get ready to two-step your heart away! There are plenty of fun bars to test out your line dancing moves, and to break in your new cowboy boots that you bought just for this trip!

Now as you go to try and schedule your last minute trip, consider these ideas and try not to drain your bank account in the process!