This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The “Go-To Shirt.” Everyone has one. When you don’t know what to wear, it’s always in the back of your mind. This shirt is comfortable, flattering, and seems to match everything.

Sometimes you can even find yourself saying, “I haven’t worn this in awhile,” so you wear it again. Then one day you’re going through your Facebook profile pictures and start to realize that it shows up more than you would like it to.

At this point, the shirt is placed in the back of your closet, in hopes that it won’t be worn again for a long time. Sooner than you would think, you’re going to be running late for a class or a meeting, and you will be throwing clothes all around your room, trying to find something to wear. For a meeting you want something that is professional, cute, and classy but for class you want comfortable, stylish, and cute. So you’re brain is going a mile a minute and you start to get stressed out.

All of a sudden you give in and decide to pull out that go-to shirt. The shirt goes on and all that runs through your mind is the fact that you always wear the shirt, and soon people will start to notice. Here are a couple tricks for that go-to shirt, making it go from “always the same thing” to a fresh, prepared outfit. All of the tricks are designed for a button up, but the concept fits for other shirts as well.

Tip 1: Roll the sleeves into a quarter-length style, leave the last 3-4 buttons undone and knot it! Then pair it with something highwaisted on the bottom.

Tip 2: Throw on a tank top, leave the button up unbuttoned and throw over a jacket, cardigan, or blazer. Cuff the sleeves over the sleeves of the jacket and pull the collar out over the jacket collar. *Style: pick out a jacket that is drastically different to the button up. For example, if you have a blue and white striped button up, pair it with a solid red jacket, cardigan, or blazer

Tip 3: Button up and pull over a crewneck sweater. Once again, cuff the sleeves over the sweater sleeves and pull out the collar.

Tip 4: Simply button it up all the way and pick out a statement necklace or scarf- a bright and beaded, or large and solid. The necklace should go underneath the collar and should cover the top two buttons at least!

Tip 5: Pick out a loose fitting, collar-less tshirt or long sleeve shirt and put the button up over it. Button the middle button and roll the sleeves up 1-2 times.

Tip 6: (For summer/warmer weather) Put on a bandeau or bikini top and the button up. Leaving it unbuttoned or halfway buttoned makes for a breezy, stylish outfit to stay cool.

Source: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/602985_516083995099017_1135980586_n.jpg

Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.