How to Be the Best Interviewer for Any Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

February is a significant month in the recruiting process. Companies are searching for the perfect summer interns for the positions they are offering, and the process can be extremely cutthroat and competitive. Here are a few tips that ensure you have a top-notch interview for your dream position.

Appearance:

1.     You can never go wrong with black pants, a black blazer, and a white shirt. It is a clean and professional look that is always appreciated. If you’re applying for a more laid-back, trendy, or fashion-forward company, this may not be the best outfit option for you.

2.     Leave the smoky-eye for Wayside. Keep makeup clean so your natural beauty can shine.

3.     The messy bun and braid you rock to class won’t work for that dream internship you’re pursuing. Keep it simple, with a nice wave, leave it straight, or tame your curls.

4.     Stay away from the stilettos, ladies. Keeping a heel under 3 inches is the smartest idea, or flats are always professional, just make sure they’re clean! If you do opt for heels, make sure you don’t look like a newborn giraffe walking in them.

Prior Research is Key:

1.     If you know who will be interviewing you, research them on LinkedIn. This way you have an idea of the previous jobs they’ve had, what they’ve studied, and can develop better questions for the end of your interview

2.     Research the company and the position you’re applying for. If you don’t know the company’s values, or what the position even entails, the lack of effort will show that you don’t care much about the job.

3.     Google what the interviews are like. Websites like Glassdoor.com provide info from previous applicants on what the interview process is like, questions the interviewer asked, and advice they have for future applicants.

4.     Participate in an on-campus Mock Interview to get your jitters out prior to your real interview. Not only will this be a good practice round, but the mock interviewers will you give you good feedback so you nail your real interview.

During the Interview:

1.     Bring the most recent copy of your resume, and paper to take notes on. Preparation = effort. The amount of effort you exhibit shows an interest in the position.

2.     A good handshake is always appreciated.

3.     Take a deep breath! If you are too high-strung or nervous, the interviewer will definitely notice, and you won’t be as charming as normal.  Relax, and prepare to just explain more information about yourself.

4.     Do NOT lie about an experience just to answer a question. It never ends up working well. Honesty is the best policy.

5.     Remember it’s acceptable to take a few seconds to think about an answer to a question, and to gather your thoughts.

6.     Don’t use one work/study abroad/club as the same example throughout your whole interview. Diversity is key, people.

7.     If the interview just went okay, you can save it by the questions you ask.

• “What characteristics are you looking for in applicants?”
  • “Do you have any advice on how to separate myself from other candidates?”
  • “Has anyone really excelled at this position, and if so, what made them so successful?”
  • “What are the most common things people in this position struggle with?”

You can also ask the interviewer questions about their past experiences with the position (if applicable), or within the company. People love talking about themselves, and this will really relax the conversation and give them a chance to explain their perspective of the position and company on a more personal level.

8.     Do your best and be yourself.

After the Interview:

1.     Remember to follow-up. This is huge, and can make or break an offer. Sending a letter thanking your interviewer for their time given to meet with you will show them that you are polite, mature, and respectful. Just remember to get a business card!

2.     Keep your social media clean (even though this should have been done beforehand). Recruiters will probably add you on Twitter and Facebook. Your pictures of you in a cage at Wayside may be the reason you don’t get offered a position.

3.     Follow the company on LinkedIn, Twitter, or any other form of social media. It is also acceptable to connect with your interviewer, or any other connections you have with the company, on LinkedIn.

4.     If you haven’t heard a response back after 3-4 weeks, send an email! Stay updated with the company, and keep displaying your interest with the company.

If you end up being denied, don’t get discouraged. Keep applying, and the right position will come along.