This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Men’s Basketball wins in thriller over Niagara

With a remarkable twenty-four points, four rebounds, three assists, and two steals; Kyle Randall
lead the Chippewas to a dramatic win over Niagara in McGuirk Arena.

The Chippewas took a commanding 35-23 lead at the end of the first half, but the Purple Eagles were able to overcome the large deficit in the second half. Not only was Niagara able to overcome the commanding lead, they eventually took a 50-49 lead over the Chippewas with seven minutes remaining in the game.

Niagara’s first lead of the game didn’t last long as Chris Fowler made two clutch free throws that regained the lead for the Chippewas with 1:32 left in the game. The Chips were able to keep the lead after hitting just enough free throws in the final minutes of the game. Although the Chippewas lead by as much as twenty points earlier in the game, they were still able to come away with an eventual 66-64 win over the Purple Eagles.

Kyle Randall (a first year transfer from North Carolina Greensboro) was the leading scorer for the Chips, and didn’t have much rest throughout the game as he played 35 of the 40 minutes in the game. Chris Fowler (11 points) and John Simmons (12 points) also contributed to the Chippewa’s nail-biting win on Sunday afternoon with their accurate shooting and crucial free throws.

The Chips are experienced with dramatic finishes this season as three of their four wins this season have been within four points. CMU begins their two-game road trip against Charlotte (7-0) on December 8th, and will play their next home game on December 20th at 7:00 p.m. against Texas State.

Women’s Basketball has a winless weekend against two top teams

The Chippewas started off their weekend by hosting their first top-five nationally ranked team in the programs history. The Chippewas began the game determined to get the upset over #5 Notre Dame, and took a 10-6 lead early in the first half.

The remainder of the first half was filled with action as the Chips went 6-13 from 3-point range, and shot the ball effectively. The Chips were able to give Notre Dame their biggest challenge of the season as the teams exchanged the lead ten times in the first half. The Chippewas took a late first half lead of 35-34, but it was the last time they would have the lead for the game.

The Irish began the second half with a 40-39 lead and began to pull away from the Chippewas by increasing their lead to 49-41 midway through the second half. Although the Irish had captured the momentum, the Chips proved they could play with the nationally ranked opponent by decreasing the Irish’s lead to 49-48.

After Notre Dame gained a nine-point advantage over the Chips later in the second half the Chips decreased their lead to four, but wouldn’t get any closer. The Chippewas weren’t able to overcome the deficit and the Irish defeated the Chippewas 72-63.

As the Chips looked to bounce back from a tough loss to the Irish, their competition didn’t get any easier as they traveled to Indiana on Sunday to compete against #14 Purdue.

The Boilermakers began the game aggressive and focused as they quickly developed an 18-point lead over the Chippewas at the end of the first half. Purdue would never look back as an eleven point deficit was the closest the Chippewas would come to a victory in the second half. Purdue
continued to execute on both sides of the ball, resulting in an 87-71 win over the Chips.

Although the Chips didn’t get the win, they did a good job spreading the ball around. Crystal Bradford (18 points) and Jessica Green (15 points) were the leading scorers for the Chippewas, and were assisted by Brandie Baker and Jas’Mine Bracey; who both contributed eleven points on Sunday’s contest. The Chippewa’s schedule doesn’t get any easier on December 5th when they take on Green Bay (5-1) at McGuirk Arena.

Fire up Chips!

Photo Credit:

Sources:

SPSID=46435&SPID=4210&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205819481&DB_OEM_ID=10500

SPSID=46441&SPID=4211&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205818258&DB_OEM_ID=10500

SPSID=46441&SPID=4211&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205819696&DB_OEM_ID=10500
I am a sophomore at CMU, I love sports, and being with my family and friends
Laura Szatkowski is a senior at Central Michigan University graduating in December, 2012. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in English. Laura has had numerous internships in a wide variety of industries throughout college. Laura is passionate about all things PR and social media related and is looking forward to traveling and working outside of Michigan after graduation.