you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways to Stay Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

It’s the beginning of a new semester and all you can think about are football tailgates, working up the courage to sit next to the cute guy in class, and when you can go home next to see your dog and make a much needed trip to the mall. While all these things might be on the top of your priority list there is one major thing getting in the way… school. It’s time to get back into the zone of staying up until 3am trying to finish a paper while slamming Starbucks coffees. It can be tough to get focused and organized again but here are 8 easy ways to lower stress and raise your GPA.

1)   Buy a planner: Some people can’t live without their planner. I’ve found it easier to use my planner more if I get a cute one from Lilly Pulitzer or Vera Bradley. You can always check out your campus bookstore too. 

2)   Check your email: This is important. Most Professors only announce assignments or important dates via email. The easiest way to stay on top of your inbox messages is to link your school and personal email to your cell phone. This way you can always get in touch with Professors and other students no matter where you are.

3)   Use sticky notes: Write things down! Honestly, go crazy with them. My desk is always full of mini colorful squares because I write anything and everything down and stick it where I will see it. It’s also a great feeling when you can take down a sticky note of something you’ve accomplished.

4)   Color coordinate: It’s always annoying when you bring the wrong notebook to class. Simplest solution: set a color for each class and get the same color folder and notebook.  This way you will always take the green folder and notebook to Psych and the pink ones to English.

5)   Study hours: Set study hours throughout the week where you block off 3-5 hours to get any homework and studying done. If you have a hard time motivating yourself find a group of friends to be study buddies with!

6)   Take a break from technology: My favorite feature on my iPhone is the Do Not Disturb setting. Take time to put your cell phone away, turn off the TV, and close your laptop. If you don’t need technology to do your homework than don’t use it because you know if you did you would just sit on Twitter and Pinterest. 

7)   Study outside your normal go to place: I love doing homework in my bed because it’s comfy but then I fall asleep for 20 minutes and don’t get any work done. If you have this problem try studying in various places. Check out your campus library, university center, or chill coffee houses around campus. It’s nice to have a change of pace when studying.

8)   Reward yourself: Congrats! All your hard work has paid off. It’s the weekend and time to unwind for a little bit. So pour yourself that extra glass of wine or do some online shopping. Aziz Ansari and Rhetta from NBC’s Parks and Rec say it best:

Annie is a junior at Central Michigan University from Plymouth, Mi.  She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in Leadership.  Annie is an active member in her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma holding numerous positions within the chapter.  She has a love for travel, food and pets and looks forward to an internship abroad Summer 2013.  Annie loves writing for Her Campus and cannot wait to see this chapter grow to be such a great success! :)