nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons you Should Travel this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

There’s more to traveling than just the beautiful, Instagram-worthy views or the bikini pictures you are dying to post! Traveling can come with many lasting memories and learning opportunities if you step out of your comfort zone and let the experience change your life.

You never know what adventures you will face!

My first time abroad, I got lost in Prague with my best friend. While it was scary, it was an adventure we will never forget! You never truly know where your travels will take you, but if you set down your phone and go off the beaten track, you will have experiences worth sharing with your children one day.

You can learn life long lessons you otherwise wouldn’t have gotten.

While traveling to a new area can be intimidating, you can learn a lot about yourself as well as other cultures. There is nothing more rewarding than traveling by yourself, or with a small group of friends, and realizing just how independent and strong you are to accomplish traveling plans and navigating around airports. Also, if you completely embrace the culture and traditions of an area, you will learn more about what values you hold important in your own culture and what values you may want to add more importance to. Seeing what other cultures hold important to  their identity allows for you to self-discover changes you want to make within yourself, your family, your community, or nation.

Worried about the price as a college student? Well traveling can be cheap, if you do it right!

Sometimes it feels like experiences cost a lot of money! We tend to put them off until we have enough funds, time, or whatever else is holding us back. However, timing will never be perfect. You just have to take a leap of faith! To help combat prices, there are so many apps and websites you can use to book flights or living arrangements. Airbnb, Expedia, and booking hostels are some of the cheapest, well-known options. Remember: for every flight, save your miles to gain some rewards and make future flights cheaper!

Traveling allows you to create new relationships.

Whether you’re traveling alone, with some of your best pals, or just some acquaintances, relationships can be strengthened or created abroad. As humans, we are not stuck in one portion of the globe. However, we tend to act like our friendships are! With communication being as global as it is today, make friends wherever your traveling takes you. You never know what you could learn from these new relationships and perspectives on life.

Most importantly– travel because it’s fun!

My name is Cassie Malhado and I’m a sophomore at Central Michigan University. Raised in the small town of Imlay City, coming to university has allowed me to expand my comfort zone. Currently, I am studying Journalism: Public Relations Concentration with a minor in Applied Business Communication to do public relations work for a non-profit or corporation after graduation. On campus I am a member of the Honors Program, am a public relations executive for Central Michigan Life, run the social media and belong to the editorial board for the academic journal The Honors Platform, and am a sister of the Delta Zeta chapter of Alpha Chi Omega. I am excited to add events planner for Her Campus on my list of involvements as well! My passions include politics, traveling, and rollerblading with Her Campus Editor-in-Chief, Kara, which I cannot wait to write more about.