neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

40 Signs You Are a True Chippewa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Going to school at Central Michigan University is such a wonderful and wild experience. Chippewas are truly one of a kind, and we all connect through the quirks of our campus. Here it is- the 40 true-tell signs of being a Central Michigan University Chippewa. 

1. Yelling “Fire Up Chips” is a logical answer for everything.

2. You have been yelled at in the bookstore to take off your backpack a thousand times. Even though you have known this rule since freshman year, you still try and get past them every time.

3. If you want to find someone on a Tuesday night, you’d better check Pints…

4. …actually, you will probably just run into them because you are at Pints, too.

5. A mascot….wait, what’s that? Do we even have one?

6. You meet great new friends, but the second the words, “I’m a Bronco,” come out of their mouth, everything suddenly changes.

7. You were devestated when the cab fare went up to $4. You would rather walk five miles than pay for a cab.

8. Contrary to popular belief, you know there is no mountain in MOUNT Pleasant …who came up with this name?

9. People look at you funny when you say, “I work out at the S.A.C.” It’s the Student Activity Center, you perverts!

10. The market is a gift from God. Period.

11. You have way too many “Flying C” pieces of merchandise, it’s hard to make an outfit that doesn’t include the colors maroon and gold….

….and due to that conundrum, you rock a CMU hoodie almost everyday

12. You wonder who those random people are that dance alone at Wayside every single week. Do they even go here?

13. Welcome Weekend on Main is like the college version of Disney World.

14.  Everyone knows everyone or is connected by another friend in some way. If you don’t have any mutual friends on Facebook, they must be Catfishing you.

15. It is a necessity to live by Main Street at least once in your college career.

16. You can pronounce Anspach correctly…and if you still can’t, it’s time for you to transfer to Western.

17. You have committed the mother of all nerd crimes and wore that lanyard with your dorm key around your neck freshman year. Don’t even try and deny it.

18. You have driven the wrong way down one of our many one-way streets at least once.

19. The Jesus preacher on campus has told you that you are going to hell.

20. WHO THE HELL IS BRENDA?!

21. You won’t endure the winter weather for classes, but it sure as hell isn’t bad enough to keep you from going to the liquor store. 

22. You will most likely end your nights waiting in line at Dog Central.

23. Despite the numerous outbreaks of E. Coli in the Chip River, you still continue to float down it.

24. You know the Wayside is a bad idea, yet always a good idea.

25. When MIP season hits and Todd Levitt is your only option.

26. You ‘ve been to the Alamo and the Camelot… in the same night.

27. Flex Dollars are as good as gold.

28. You find yourself sticking with the motto, “win or loose, we still booze,” for the majority of football season.

29. Free Jesus Dogs are the main reason you go out on Saturdays. 

30. You are friends with more than one squirrel on campus.

31. Winter, spring, summer or fall…you always have winter clothes at school. Just in case. 

32. You have called Safe Rides to take you to Calkins when you were really going to party on Main.

33. The second the sun comes out, everyone pulls out the shorts, skips class and grabs a beer. Even if it’s only 50 degrees…

34. When St. Patty’s lands on a weekday, you know no one is going to class.

35. Before you turn 21, downtown is a distant, far away land that you can’t wait to venture to.

36. Everytime you tell someone that you go to Central, they give you that look like…”Oh, you must be an alcoholic.”

37. …and usually you have to say, “I don’t party that much,” and go on to explain why CMU is fabulous for many other reasons.

38. In reality, you know CMU is just a lovely mix of good academics, great people, and yes, kick-ass parties. Basically, it’s a triple threat. 

39. You are so annoyed of people bad mouthing CMU, giving you so many reasons as to why their school is better.

40. To which we say, “Get out, nobody asked you. Fire Up Chips!”

Natalie is a Senior at Central Michigan University. She is working toward a Bachelor of Science degree with an emphasis on Broadcast and Cinematic Arts. Natalie has been a CMich Contributor since October of 2013 and represents our chapter as our Social and Events Coordinator. Natalie has a deep passion for pop culture and entertainment and she is looking forward to a career in entertainment television or news as a Multimedia Journalist and/or Producer. Until then, she will continue to be a part of our chapter, to participate in News Central 34 and E Central, remain an active member of NBS, and continue to make strides towards making her dreams come true.