10 Reasons to Get Excited about Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Whether we like it or not, winter is here. Temperatures are dropping and we have already seen the first snowfall. Although many people are already counting the days until spring, here the top 10 reasons to get you excited for winter.

10. Holiday Drinks

It’s all about the little things, even if you are only getting excited about something as small as a peppermint mocha. One of my favorite parts of winter is when Starbucks changes their menu and switches to the infamous red holiday cups. Plus, there’s nothing quite like a hot chocolate on a cold day.

9. Snow Days

Although not everyone loves the snow, it’s a fact that everyone loves snow days. There is no better feeling than when you get that early morning email that tells you that you can go back to bed, it’s a Snow Day.

8. Holiday Sales

Who doesn’t love a good deal? From Black Friday to Cyber Monday, everywhere you look, there is some sort of sale going on. And why would you want to pass any of them up?

7. Time to get Cozy

This is the perfect weather to get cozy under a blanket and curl up next to the fireplace. So grab that special someone, whether it be a boyfriend, dog, or even a body pillow, and get cozy.

6. Winter Sports

Time to break out the cute winter gear and hit the slopes. There are so many things that you can do outdoors to get you excited about winter. You can try skiing or snowboarding at one of the many ski resorts in the area. You could also try sledding, tubing, and even snowmobiling. If winter sports aren’t your thing you can always stick to watching figure skating and hockey on TV.

5. Winter Fashion

What’s not to love about winter fashion? Winter means oversized sweaters, cute scarves, coats and jackets galore, fur vests, and you cannot forget the boots. Winter is just another excuse to accessorize.

4. Holidays

Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukah, or Kwanza, what’s not to get excited about? Time for holiday parties, which means food and let’s be honest, who doesn’t love food? Tis the season for gift giving, Christmas lights, caroling, and friends.

3. New Years

Time for a fresh start; so start making your new years resolutions now. It’s time to find a sparkly dress, gather around friends at midnight and find someone special to smooch.

2. Family

When I think of winter, I think of family. Especially for us college students, winter is when we take a break from school and head home. This is a time for us to share old memories and stories with family and friends. So here’s your opportunity to reconnect with old friends and flings.

1. Winter Break

A break from the books, need I say more?

So there you have it, instead of sitting around and waiting for winter to come to an end this year, embrace this season and all it has to offer.

Kendal Fifield is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Commercial Recreation and minoring in Hospitality. She is an active member of her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, and is holding an Executive Board position next semester. She is from the small town of Richmond, MI. A fun fact about Kendal, she loves outdoor activities such as running, biking, hiking, and skiing and has recently become a vegetarian.
Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.