This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The Olympics have ended and America recieved the second highest number of medals with 28, following Russia who claimed 33.

We recieved 9 gold, 7 silver, and 12 bronze.

And this was largely due to some amazing performances by some pretty amazing women!

Whoever still believes the outdated notion that women are not as tough, daring, or athletic as men has definitely has been proven wrong by the champion women who have worn the stars and stripes at the games in Sochi.

On February 19 two teams of American women took home medals (silver and bronze) in double bobsled making Olympic history. The three female figure skaters have been impressing judges every time they’ve been on the ice. Jamie Anderson flashed her winning smile on top of the podium for slope style snowboarding. Kaitlin Farrington took home gold in the dangerous and intense snowboarding half pipe. The United States Women’s teams strived for gold, along with many other medals in skiing, skeleton, and luge events, proving that women are tough as nails.

Women athletes killed it this year at the Olympic games, further proving why women are so awesome. We can do crazy, dangerous and intense sports—like women’s slope style snowboarding—and take our helmets off and look flawless (seriously every Olympian is gorgeous). Little girls every where will continue to have great role models to aspire to be! Even us non athletes can channel Gracie Gold’s poise when talking in front of the class, or the women’s hockey team’s fierceness when taking on a big test.

U-S-A!

College of Charleston Sophomore
Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.