This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

For the past ten years, I’ve been a Taylor Swift fan. I’ve loved her through the country, the pop, the in between, and will keep loving her for whatever’s next. I mean I even pretended I didn’t love her when it wasn’t cool to like Taylor Swift when she started straightening her hair. (Let’s be real though the my Fearless concert and 1989 concert were two of the best nights of my life.) But hello here I am, rolling my eyes at this new “movement” to hate Taylor Swift because she’s problematic.

Okay, can we just be frank here, we’re all college girls here, this searching for reasons celebrities are problematic is the stupidest thing I’ve heard of since diet water.  By doing that you’re the problematic person. In case the world forget, which I’m ninety percent sure it did, everyone makes mistakes. Come on, like there’s a Hannah Montana song about it, how could you forget that nobody’s perfect. The fact of the matter is, the people who have gone against Taylor Swift as an act of “feminism” are representing the exact opposite of what they’re preaching. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, a woman who strives for equality and girl power and then turns around and bashes another woman is the root of the “feminist” problem. It doesn’t make sense to call out someone because they don’t support the same thing you do or they decided they’re not going to get rid of friends because the media doesn’t like them.

Image from Huffington Post.

It’s baffling to me how these extreme feminist women can completely bash and be so thick headed that they think they can control who people are friends with and alienate people who think differently. NewsFlash world: remember that episode of the Fairly OddParents where they were all gray blobs and there were still people who thought they were better? That’s the exact same thing, it’s also a metaphor for communism but that’s another story. It’s honestly so sad to me that people can truly preach that we must lift girls up and love them all but then turn around a bash Taylor Swift because she dated so many boys or she’s still friends with Lena Dunham or she didn’t endorse Hillary Clinton. Chill out.  Seriously, if you’re gonna bash a powerful young woman who is seriously kicking butt in the music industry and has for the past ten years what does that say about you? 

Image from Giphy.

I think it’s ridiculous the amount of hate that Taylor Swift gets for being a “fake feminist” and then her songs go number one on iTunes every time. Like, okay, bash a woman for trivial things that are her own personal problems and things in her personal life and then know every word to every song. You know what sounds fake? That sounds fake. I think it’s sad honestly, that such trivial things are causing a woman to get so much hate. You know what maybe she didn’t do things you like but that’s okay! If Taylor Swift did everything that you would she’d just be a boring grey blob. Like why does that make sense? Why would you want every single artist to be the same, let alone every person?

We all know Taylor Swift isn’t going anywhere, she’s basically the queen of pop nowadays. So stop the hate and spread the love and girl power you’re preaching. 

Header from NBC News

A future historian who has a love of all things pink, a serious coffee addiction, and a passion to spread self-love.