Why Hurricane Maria is A Big Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Hurricane, Hurricane, please go away! Many of us student’s right now is frantically worrying about the newly formed Hurricane Maria. After only being back at school for a little over a week now from Irma, we are praying that she’s not heading towards us. Hurricane Irma caused us all so much panic and stress, that we can’t even begin to imagine going through it again!

Puerto Rico and the Caribbean has had enough

Seeing the damages that Hurricane Irma did to Puerto Rico and all of the Caribbean and Florida was heartbreaking. Climate change is for sure very real in these instances and is something we all can’t ignore. When Irma was still circulating, it was the first time in history where three consecutive hurricanes were going on. Now, fast forward to currently, we now have Hurricane Jose winding down up north and Hurricane Maria doing destruction. She blew through all of Puerto Rico the other day, leaving millions of people out of power and in need of help. Now Maria faces on heading to the Turks and Cacaos and possibly soon the United States.

We will lose more Saturday and Sunday’s

I don’t know about you guys, but I really don’t want to be in class doing more work than I have to. Since administration had to take out our fall break due to Irma, all they can really take left is Saturday and Sunday’s. Those says are coveted and are absolutely needed when it comes to a busy college life, and not to mention having classes for seven days straight! Not to mention that we won’t have a break from now until Thanksgiving! That’s almost two full months of no breaks and some of our weekends taken away!

We don’t want to leave again

Since we were forced the evacuation to leave College of Charleston, many of us went to any place we could getting to safety. Many out of state kids had to fly home, spending thousands of dollars to leave South Carolina. C of C did provide and allow us to go to Winthrop University to stay and be safe. As much as we love not going to school, this was not the most ideal situation within the first month. Many out of state students weren’t able to afford a ticket out and leaving them to evacuate with the school. This is hard to go through for anyone and especially when you were expecting or use to these sorts of things.

In the end, all we won’t is just safety for everyone. To see what’s going on in the Caribbean is heartbreaking for anyone, and something we can’t even imagine going through the experience. We hope that the college of Charleston won’t be affected within the hurricane and it will pass and not have to rely on the Saturday and Sunday classes. But all we can do is cross our fingers that she won’t destruct no more of our beautiful world!

A future historian who has a love of all things pink, a serious coffee addiction, and a passion to spread self-love.