Style & Sustainability at Scout and Molly’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As every college woman living in the city of Charleston knows, King Street has THE best shopping. This famously known shopping avenue is lined with fabulous designer stores, unique little boutiques, and a plethora of yummy restaurants to try out! Simply walking down King Street can be a bit overwhelming to newcomers, especially with all of the different and exciting shops to explore. However, as you get accustomed to the King Street shopping life, you begin to find your own personal shopping niche. It is then that you’ll start to favor particular stores, not just for their clothing, but also for the pleasant atmosphere and quality of work that is put in to making that store unique and special.

One little King Street boutique in particular has certainly captured my heart. Scout & Molly’s is located near the corner of King and Calhoun Street, right next to Moe’s. It is a quaint little boutique, and if you blink you might just miss it. However, you’ll be sorry if you did! This boutique has without a doubt some of the most quality clothing and jewelry from various different designers such as Henry & Belle, Tart Collections, Joy Joy, Bobi, Sweetie Pie Jewelry, and Alex and Ani.  And these are only a few of the many designers available at Scout & Molly’s of Charleston!

While all of the designer clothing and jewelry at Scout & Molly’s is fabulous, the designer clothing line that I would especially like to brag about for the purpose of spring fashion is Escapada. Escapada is a Charleston, South Carolina based lifestyle brand that was created in 2009 by its Founder and Creative Director, Natalia Castillo. This amazing line of clothing exudes a relaxed, yet vibrant appearance; it is perfect for a relaxing day at the beach or for a night out on the town. They have styles for it all! Escapada’s spring line has exquisitely bright and bold colors and patterns, which can all be found at the lovely Scout and Molly’s boutique on King.  However, Escapada is more than just a remarkable designer clothing line. They are very committed to making our world a better place. Through the donation of a portion of its profits, Escapada supports global charities, which enhance the lives of those in need, educate the minds of children, and aid environmental causes. What an extraordinary cause! 

I was able to have the opportunity to sit down with one of the owners of Scout & Molly’s of Charleston, the lovely Sarah Johnston, and ask her a couple of questions about their boutique and how they manage everything. Here is what she had to say:

HC: So, how did Scout & Molly’s of Charleston get its start?

Johnston: Scout & Molly’s first started in Raleigh, North Carolina about 11 years ago. Lisa Kornstein, the original owner, franchised it out, and Scout & Molly’s of Charleston is now the 5th location. I used to shop at the original store in Raleigh. We (me, my husband, and his mother) approached Lisa about perhaps opening a Scout & Molly’s in Charleston, because we felt that this boutique was something that could contribute to Charleston’s overall charm. Scout & Molly’s has clothing available for all different ages, and there aren’t very many stores on King Street that are able to do that. Scout & Molly’s is very unique. 

[pagebreak]

What is it like running your own boutique? 

It’s definitely fun, but also challenging. Honestly though, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love it. You get to meet so many new and different people that you never thought you’d have the opportunity to.

Do you enjoy the retail business?

Yes, I’ve done it since I graduated from college. It’s not for everybody, but if your passionate enough about it then you’ll be able to succeed. 

Are you ever able to meet with the designers of the clothing (such as Escapada) that you sell? What’s it like being able to work with local designers?

When we work with Escapada, I love it. You get the back-story about how the line is developed, and what type of thought goes in to making the line special. We also get to give our input for their clothing based on what customers are interested in. 

What do you love the most about Escapada’s 2013 spring line?

The colors and prints, as always. They draw you in.

What advice would you give to people who dream of someday running their own fabulous boutique? 

Do it. So many people don’t believe in themselves, but you never know until you try. Don’t play the “what if” game, just go for it. Take a leap of faith!

Check out just a few of the many pieces from Escapada’s spring 2013 collection that can be found at Scout & Molly’s!

Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.
Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.