An Open Letter to the Girls That Didn’t Make it Through Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

You paid all the fees, you made it through all of the days, but still on bid day you found yourself sitting around avoiding Instagram so you didn’t have to see all the girls you know posting their ecstatic pictures of where they ran home to and what letters they got to call their own. It’s okay to be upset, it’s okay to cry, it’s okay to have to mourn losing something you never had. It may feel like you’re the only person in the world who this happens to but you aren’t.

At every school there are hundreds of girls that don’t make it through, there are thousands of young women who have or are in your shoes. These women feel the emotions you do: hurt, resentment, anger, frustration, regret and so many more. The fact of the matter is it’s all about how you chose to handle it. You’re allowed to react the way you feel, to let yourself go through a mourning process of something you never truly got to be a part of.

We all have an idea before we go into recruitment, a so called fairy tale in our head about where we want to end up, how incredible it will be, and then it doesn’t happen. For us girls who don’t make it through sorority recruitment, you’re letting go of something you never had but dreamed about for a certain amount of time.

Not making it puts you at a fork in the road, you either kiss the idea goodbye forever or you push through. If you push through, maybe you do informal events or maybe you wait for the next formal recruitment but pushing through you must always have the confidence and peace with yourself that you’ll find your home, like millions of other girls have, if it’s meant to be.

For now, remember it’s okay to be hurt. It’s okay to feel a little sad when you see your friends’ social media posts about their sorority.  It’s okay to feel a little sad when you see a girl wearing her letters around. It’s okay, you’re allowed to feel all these emotions and others, but just remember that you aren’t alone in this. There are so many other girls in your shoes who feel the same way that you do.  Just remember that everything will happen if it’s meant to be, collegiettes, and to always stay positive! HCXO 

A future historian who has a love of all things pink, a serious coffee addiction, and a passion to spread self-love. 
Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.