This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The other day, as I was talking to one of my friends (a Biology major) about what we are hoping to end up doing with our lives, I realized something important. As we were walking around campus, we talked about plans after graduation, our complaints about midterms, and all that college stuff. The conversation went a little something like this:

Her: I really don’t know how this midterm is going to go. Science isn’t something I’m strong in.

Me: Well then why are you majoring in it?

Her: I just feel like I’ll have more options later on, and I’ll make a good amount of money if I stick to it.

All I could think to myself was, what are you doing? I don’t know about you guys, but I grew up believing that a dream should be followed. It shouldn’t be tossed on the sidelines to be looked back upon. I’ve wanted to pursue being a radio personality since fifth grade (and am still striving to one day be the female version of Ryan Seacrest). Sure, majoring in engineering or science is almost guaranteed to get you a good job (and maybe you really do like it, and if that’s the case, then good for you!) but why on EARTH would you choose to study something that isn’t going to make you happy?

I’m only nineteen, and trust me, I still have a lot to learn. But I do know this: life is waaaay to short to be in a job that makes “a lot of money.” Having money in the bank is nice, but looking back on your life, are you going to be happy with the idea that you decided to not follow (or at least attempt) your dream of being a stand up comedian? Working for Google? Becoming a professional skydiver?

Point is, I don’t think it’s a good idea become invested in something that isn’t going to give you any form of internal satisfaction. Life is too short for regret, friends. Don’t hesitate to do something extreme. Pursue the dream that you’ve had since you were four. Have the drive to do whatever it takes to get there. If people tell you it won’t happen, then block them out and do what you can until you can’t anymore. Because the person who tells you something like that will most likely be the person who gave on up their own dream (and who are they to tell you that you can’t? You can). More people will be cheering you on than you think. I hate to sound cliché, but life truly is an adventure, and it’s what you make it.

So go big or go home.

Photo credit: 

http://careers.queensu.ca/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.cswww/files/images…

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/hercampusphoto/Places/Work%20an…

A v-neck enthusiast from Greenville, South Carolina, Megan Dunn is a sophomore majoring in Communication and double minoring in Creative Writing and Film Studies. Having always been interested in media, she plans on one day being the female version of Ryan Seacrest. While she’s not writing or working on her campus radio show, Megan can be found binge watching Netflix or quoting Mean Girls.
Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.