This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.
Year: Freshman
Hometown: Mt. Pleasant, SCMajor: Psychology 

Mikaela in Luis Machicao Designs w/ Youngblood Originals Jewelry 

How did you first get into modeling? I began modeling when I was either 14 or 15. My mother was very much against it at first – I had to really convince her to let me audition with a local agency. When they wanted to sign me, she finally relented! 

Navy Twist Front Sweater, Deep Green Drape Front Skirt, and Black Cape Duster by Vincetta at Charleston Fashion Week 

Is this something you are hoping to continue after graduation? Yes. To be honest, I would love to go to New York and try my luck up there. Charleston has amazing fashion, but nothing can compare to New York City. This year (2015) will be my third year walking in Charleston Fashion Week, and I cannot wait. CFW is an incredible experience. If you’ve never been to watch some of the shows, I highly recommend it!

What is the hardest part about modeling? This is a tough question! I’d say the hardest part is remembering not to take anything too personally. If a designer doesnt like your look, it’s okay! You just have to pick yourself up and try again. 

Any advice for girls who are aspiring to get into the modeling/fashion business? 
Always, always, ALWAYS be yourself, no matter what. In an industry that can be really cruel, you have to remember to hold onto who you are. Eating disorders and drug use are way too prevalent, and it’s so easy to forget who you are and what you stand for. You have to always remember that you are beautiful the way you are. People are going to want to change you, don’t let them

What are some of your favorite places to shop? I’ll be the first to admit it – I LOVE H&M. They have everything – from basics, to big comfy sweaters, to graphic tees – and it’s so inexpensive! Other than that, I love Urban, Anthropologie, and Topshop, but those are my guilty pleasures!

Favorite designers? Alexander McQueen is definitely a favorite. Even though he’s no longer with us, he’ll always be a style icon. Besides him, I love Badgley Miska and Dolce and Gabbana. 

Favorite modeling experience?  Definitely last year’s fashion week. Those five days were the most exhausting of my life, but I met some awesome people and got to do what I love best. 

All photos are from Facebook
Camila is a freshman at the College of Charleston, SC and a member of Delta Gamma. She plans to major in Marketing with a double minor Spanish and Communications. She is obsessed with any variation of mac and cheese and tweets often to the dismay of her followers. She loves puns and shopping and plans to severely deplete her savings account in the next four years on King St.