Meet Graduating Senior Savannah Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Year: Senior

Major: Biochemistry

Hometown: Rock Hill, South Carolina

Campus Involvement: Charleston Forty, Alpha Chi Sigma (Chemistry Professional Fraternity), Sigma Kappa, Charleston Mentor Society, Supplemental Instruction leader and Undergraduate Organic Chemistry researcher.

Leadership positions held: Vice President of Charleston Forty, Master of Cerimonies for Alpha Chi Sigma, Vice President of Communications for Sigma Kappa and Senior Leader for Supplemental Instruction.

Why did you come to College of Charleston?

My reasons for coming to CofC were very practical. I wanted an in state school that was larger than my high school (2,000 students) but not so big that I felt like I didn’t know anyone. Coming from a suburban town I also wanted an exciting city that helped compliment the academic side of a school, but not so exciting that I would be an unproductive student.

Another factor was being far enough away from home that I could become an individual, but not so far that I couldn’t visit on the weekends.

College of Charleston was, “just right” for me.

What is your favorite memory from your campus involvement?

If I can narrow it down to senior year, my favorite memories have been seeing other students grow. Personally, I have grown so much through my involvement in organizations at CofC, and I think that’s why seeing those same changes happen in others is really exciting and memorable.

Whether that be a new tour guide in Charleston Forty giving their first tour after weeks of practice and studying, a student in the class I SI for earning an good grade on their exam because they finally learned a difficult concept, or a freshman member of Sigma Kappa gaining the confidence to step into and excel in a leadership position.

You joined a sorority as a senior. How has that changed your experience at CofC and what have you gained from it?

I joined Sigma Kappa hoping to help freshmen and sophomores by being a friend and a mentor. In reality, I have gained more from listening and hanging out with them than they could have ever gained from me. One the biggest things I’ve learned from joining Sigma Kappa is that I wished I would have joined as a freshman. Although Sigma Kappa just came to CofC this year, it has already made an impact in the campus and greek community.

Joining a sorority as a senior has given me new friendships and it has challenged me. One of the biggest unexpected gains was sisterhood. As one of our sisters mentioned at chapter this week, “everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.” This is a perfect analogy of what Sigma Kappa has been for me. During my time at CofC, I’ve had many friends who are apart of greek life talk about how much you don’t really know how it feels until you feel it first hand, but I get it now.

It’s like no matter what type of day I’m having, I know there is always someone who I can talk to and hang out with. And even for the sisters I don’t know that well they aren’t strangers because we’re connected through the awesome warmth of sisterhood.

What are your hopes for the future of Sigma Kappa at CofC and for its members?

I hope they understand and value diversity. All members don’t have to look or act a certain way as long as they share the core values that’s enough commonality to bring anyone together. We don’t need to compare ourselves to other sororities to become our best. It’s easy to become disillusioned when you’re the new girls on the block, but as long as we work hard to be involved and build each other up Sigma Kappa is going to do great things.

I also hope they continue to respect every member and hold each other accountable. This starts with building strong relationships and ends with wanting the best for all of your sisters. I’m sad I’m graduating after such a short time as an undergraduate member of greek life, but I know the group of girls in Sigma Kappa, my sisters, are going to do amazing things in the College of Charleston and Greek Life community. I am so excited about the future of the Lambda Epsilon chapter.

As a tour guide and graduating senior, what advice do you have for current and future CofC students?

Don’t wish away time while always looking forward to your next milestone or big event. Be in the moment. Some of my most memorable times a CofC happened when I had no plans and did something spontaneous.

I always conclude my tours by telling students that no matter where their college search leads that they should seek “to know thyself” whether that be through challenging yourself intellectually, trying something new or joining an organization as a senior. There are always opportunities to learn more about yourself.

What are your plans for after graduation?

I will be attending the Eshelman School of Pharmacy at UNC Chapel Hill in the fall. In 10 years, I hope to be a clinical pharmacist at a large children’s hospital such as St. Jude’s.

Congratulations and good luck to you from all of us at HC CofC! HCXO

All photos courtesy of Savannah Jones.

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.