Kat Dyer ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Hometown: Atlanta, GA

Major: Biology

What extracurriculars are you involved with around campus?

I’m a member of Alpha Chi Sigma (the professional chemistry fraternity here on campus), a member of CofC’s NSCS chapter, and this past semester I was a flagship DJ for CisternYard Radio!

How did you get involved with CisternYard Radio?

Well since about sophomore or junior year of high school, I’ve been very interested in radio and comedy! I love finding humor in the little things I face on a daily basis, and I wanted to share this with others. When I came to CofC, I knew about CisternYard Radio but I was nervous to have my own talk show, because though I can be chatty at times, I was terrified of having to talk into a mic for an hour by myself! Luckily, I met a Megan [Dunn] and we signed up to be cohosts of a talk show we named “Dunn and Dyer.” The rest is history.

What sorts of things do you talk about on your show?

This semester we focused on creating more segments in our show for more consistency, so we had a “Hot Topics” portion which covers anything from campus to world news, a “What the news?” portion for strange and almost always funny news, and a science segment, which was my chance to rant or gush about the latest in my favorite field of study. And of course there’s always a little time reserved for the inevitable Miley Cyrus publicity stunt.

What’s one of the most rewarding parts about working with CisternYard Media?

One of the most rewarding parts of working with CisternYard Media to me was the invaluable experience I gained from working collaboratively with so many unique, creative people. Not only did I learn about teaming up with others to create a successful product, but I learned how to better project myself in the way that I want to be seen as both a student and a radio show host. I also learned to never, under any circumstances, pet the green screen.

Do you think this will be something you will do in the future?

Because I’m a Biology major and science geek to the core, I’m not sure that radio will be something I’ll be able to continue with after I graduate from CofC, unless SNL decides to open up a spot with my name on it. However, my time with radio at The College has definitely been some of the most enjoyable and memorable so far. I can’t imagine my experience at CofC without it.

Be sure to check out Kat’s radio show, Dunn and Dyer, next semester on CisternYard Radio!

All of the photos shown are from Kat’s facebook page.

A v-neck enthusiast from Greenville, South Carolina, Megan Dunn is a sophomore majoring in Communication and double minoring in Creative Writing and Film Studies. Having always been interested in media, she plans on one day being the female version of Ryan Seacrest. While she’s not writing or working on her campus radio show, Megan can be found binge watching Netflix or quoting Mean Girls.