Dorm Sweet Dorm: Tips To Make Your College Space Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I’m a firm believer in the power of the home. To me, one’s own personal living space is one of the most important aspects of success. Think about it. When you’re stressed out of your mind, rushing to finish an assignment or meet a deadline, what can quiet your anxieties and grant you the peace to succeed? Your room can. As an introvert, my own room has become a sort of an oasis, its warm Christmas lights and soft color tones calming me down and recharging my soul and body. Even if you’re not an introvert, though, your space can become your own personal haven, because even after all that socializing, you have got to sleep sometime. One’s living space is arguably one of the best outlets for personal creativity and identity, too. I’ve always loved visiting my friends’ dorm rooms and apartments, because their space reveals so much about them and their own personal universe. So, whether or not you’ve already moved into your dorm or are about to, the following tips can help transform your space from a dorm to a home. Take a look!

Soft Lighting

Instead of implementing harsh light into your space, like bright bulbs and tall floor lamps, think about hanging up some type of Christmas or string lights. These help calm down the space and bring down the mood to a peaceful level. You can even supplement bright bulbs for warmer ones in your lamps; the lower the wattage, the lower the brighteness!

Photographs > Posters

Nothing makes a room cozier than photographs. Putting up more photos than posters gives the space a sense of simplicity and cleanness. No need to make your dorm as crazy and hectic as your schedule! Photos can also keep you grounded, reminding you of where you’ve been and where you want to go. 

Earthy Colors

Colors like blue, golden yellow, brown, forest green, dark red, ivory, and grey make the space easy on the eyes and the mind. While lime green, hot pink, and bright yellow might be your favorite colors, they should probably stay in the closet. Bright colors are harsh and not very inviting. Furthermore, if you or your roomate are prone to anxiety or migraines, then bright colors should be avoided at all costs.

The Tapestry

The best decor investment of my freshman year was a tree tapestry. It hung right next to my bed (see above). It was both an easy and cozy piece of decor! A tapestry, while slightly more expensive than posters or pictures, can bring a whole space together. I believe that simple is more, and a tapestry helped me to achieve that, by showcasing one big piece of art rather than multiple small pieces of art.

Fashion Accesories Turned Decor

The last major tip I’d like to share is one that utilizes your very own fashion and clothing accesories. An essentially free way to make your space more homey is to simply showcase your own fashion style! For example, in my own space, I have hung up hats, purses, and pearl necklaces. Not only does it cover up boring, white wall space, but it also saves drawer space and highlights my favorite fashion pieces. Did I mention it’s free?

Happy, homey decorating!

College of Charleston junior Angel Mathis is pursuing a BA in Communication with a double minor in Creative Writing and Tourism Management. While still uncertain of her career path, Angel knows that the field of Communication is where she is meant to be. Her love of words is evident in her writings and conversations. Because she knows the power, the beauty, and the pain words carry, she speaks and writes with care, and hopes that one day a string of words she threads together positively influences someone's life. Until then, she'll continue to bake, travel, and laugh her days away.