Amy Clark, ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Our Campus Celebrity this week is Amy Clark, a senior at the College, and the current president of the Charleston 40 tour guide association. I got the chance to ask her some questions about the College and her experiences!

Hometown: Fort Mill, SC

Year: Senior
Major: Public Health
Minor: Psychology
Campus Organizations: Leadership CofC/ Charleston Forty

Why did you choose to come to College of Charleston?
My application process was perhaps a lot different than most graduating seniors from high school. At the time, I was pursuing a professional career in dance and was not planning to attend college. In late fall of my senior year I veered away from my performance passion and stumbled upon the College of Charleston at my high school’s college fair. College of Charleston was one of the only schools that came to visit our campus that was not a conservatory. I remember crying to my mother at that college fair thinking there was no way I’d ever be able to meet the qualifications to get accepted to the College of Charleston before graduation. I was pretty late in the game when it came to the college search process. I was captivated by the campus and wanted to embrace all that Charleston had to offer. I called the Admissions Office nearly everyday practically begging for an acceptance and pleading at the time that my transcript from high school was in no way reflective to the success I would later have as a College of Charleston student. I didn’t choose the College of Charleston, but rather the College of Charleston chose me. I’ve been eternally grateful for the Admissions Office and their team ever since.  

What made you decide to apply for Charleston 40?
I had been a part of a similar organization before college, however not nearly as in depth. I was honestly just looking for an outlet; a derivative of my previous identity; a group of students I could relate to. What I found was a transformation from my previous passion for dance and performance into a passion for presentation and salesmanship. I guess those were qualities I subconsciously related to with the tour guides during my application process and what ultimately gave me the courage to apply.

What’s your favorite aspect of the organization?
If you had asked me this question my freshmen year, I would have said my favorite aspect was Charleston Forty’s active involvement throughout the campus and having the ability to practice my public speaking skills each week. Now as a senior looking back on my experience, my favorite aspect of Charleston Forty is its ability to grow as an organization and inspire guides to grow personally without them even realizing it’s happening. There is something about this organization that nurtures you to become a better version of yourself and to always strive to be “great not good”. The first person that comes to mind is Ryan Saffa because he exemplifies this answer. Though he may have come into Charleston Forty during the latter half of his college career, Ryan and I were great friends long before his acceptance. I remember persuading Ryan to apply from the very beginning, then watching him grow through the new member process but knowing well beforehand that he would be a killer guide. Luckily Charleston Forty did not have to part with Ryan Saffa after his graduation this May, for he now works for the Admissions Office representing Charleston Forty as our advisor. He guides me through a growing leadership process each day and it has been an absolute pleasure witnessing his exponential growth as a member of Charleston Forty. Ryan Saffa is one example of many guides and I am beyond honored having been given the opportunity to represent them.

Any especially funny/unique tour memories?
I would have to say I especially love interactive fathers on tours. It may be embarrassing for their students but it makes it fun for me. I once danced with a prospective student’s father in the Cistern Yard on my tour. He was pretty cool.

Any idea for plans after graduation?
For the time being, no matter what my job title becomes after graduation, I plan to travel. Whether that be traveling within the United States while representing the College of Charleston, or traveling internationally with a non-profit organization…..time will tell.

Favorite thing to do in your spare time?
In all honesty, I don’t really have a lot of free time. However, I quite enjoy jamming out in my car while traveling from place to place singing at the top of my lungs. I’d like to think Frank Sinatra and I harmonize pretty fantastically- but the world may never know.

What’s your favorite restaurant downtown?
My favorite restaurant downtown would have to be the Charleston Crab House because I had a really awkward first date there once, which then ironically turned into my dad’s favorite spot to take me. Great memories, but I guess I shouldn’t say that since I work for Hymans. 

What is the one thing you would say to convince a prospective student to come to CofC?
I’ve found that the campus pretty much sells itself. As a tour guide, after sharing your experience at the College of Charleston throughout a tour you hope that something within the hour resonates with them. I’d like to think that is what makes or breaks a prospective students decision. For me personally, my approach is not to convince a student to come to the college but rather find ways that the College of Charleston relates to each student in a way that they ultimately convince themselves that the College of Charleston is the right fit for them. Call me Mr. Miyagi.

Any final advice for freshmen at CofC today?
Yes, live your freshmen year to the absolute fullest and get all of the exploration and awkwardness out early on. Trust me, it’s a lot more uncomfortable living freshmen year as a senior. Don’t do things backwards.

Lindsey is currently a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina, originally from New England and New Jersey. She is a Marketing major with a minor in Communications. Her dream is to somehow work within the entertainment/fashion industry, whether it's writing, advertising, PR, supervising, etc. Other than acting as president of HerCampus CofC, she is also a campus tour guide, a VP on Panhellenic Council, a member of Delta Gamma, and a founding member of Committed to Charleston, among other things. She loves keeping busy and couldn't imagine it any other way.