Alyssa Johnson, ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

College is a time of exploration and involvement, and for Alyssa Johnson, this means stepping out of the box and trying something new and beneficial to others. Through her hard work and efforts, she has been working to spread the word about Earthquake safety. As a Junior, Alyssa is always pushing herself to stay involved on and off campus. In addition to her involvement with Shakeout, she is an active member of the equestrian team, a well-rounded student, and a loyal friend.

Name: Alyssa Johnson

Hometown: Mobile, Alabama

Major: Geology

Year of Graduation: 2015

When did become interested in earthquakes?

Freshman year, I took Geology 101 and we went over the basics of earthquakes. Even though it was just a short section, it caught my attention!

How did you choose to come to C of C?

I actually used to live in Mt. Pleasant when I was younger, so I knew I wanted to return to South Carolina. The campus is so charming!

What is the process like working with ShakeOut?

Right now we’re just trying to spread the word about the Nation Wide Earthquake Drill on October 17th at 10:17am, and some easy safety tips for earthquakes. It’s a lot of communication and meetings, but we just want to make sure people know what to do in the event of an earthquake.

What ShakeOut event are you most looking forward to?

The Charleston Children’s Museum is having some special events in order to educate about earthquakes, and I’m really excited about the scavenger hunt for earthquake hazards in the museum!

Do you plan to continue working with earthquakes after college?

At this point, no – I’m looking to go into petroleum geology. But I’m sure I’ll always be interested in earthquakes!

What do you like to do outside of school?

Outside of school and working with ShakeOut, I love to ride horses. I’m on the equestrian team, and it’s my exercise and stress reducer, all in one.

What do you want to do after college?

I plan to go to graduate school and go into petroleum geology.

Co-founder and former Editor-in-Chief of HC CofC.