8 Things I Wish I Knew Before Coming to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

When you were finally at the end of your high school career you probably couldn’t have been anymore excited to leave and move on to college. The end of senior year can be so exciting.  You have finally decide where you are going to go to college after months of endless worrying and probably are constantly thinking about what your new life at college will going to be like. The new people you’ll meet, the adventures you’ll go on, all the new things you’ll learn, and finally leaving home.

About a year ago I was right where you were and I was so excited I could barely contain myself, but no matter what you’ve been told or what you expect nothing can really prepare you for what college has in store. And there are quite a few things I wished I had known before stepping foot on campus.

1. It’s okay to miss your parents.

I know none of us want to admit it but you actually will miss your parents and that’s completely okay, in fact that’s normal. For the first few months you might find yourself a little homesick, but once you get used to everything it will get better.

2. It really is up to you on whether you go to class or not.

I had always been told that in college you have to motivate yourself because no one else can do it for you and let me tell you this is so true. There are going to be days you don’t want to go to class and will want to skip, but trust me when I say GO TO CLASS your GPA will thank you for it.

3. You might not be best friends with your roommate.

Coming into college there is this expectation that you will automaticlly be best friends with your roommate. While this might be true for a lot of people, it is okay to not be best friends with your roommate. A lot of roommates aren’t best friends.  The important part is that you two can live together and coexist well.  

4. Get involved.

Your college campus will have every club and organization that you could ever imagine.  Take the opportunity and get involved! I wish that before coming to college I had taken the time to read about the clubs offered by my school so that I could’ve gotten more involved my freshman year.  (And even if you don’t, remember there is always next year.)

5. Talk to anyone you can, you never know who will turn out to be your best friend.

Everyone coming into college is in the same boat.  Nobody really knows anyone so talk to kids in your classes or on your floor.  This will help you to get to know people, make new friends and ultimately get out of your comfort zone.  You never know who you’re going to meet!

6. It’s okay to stay in if you don’t feel like going out.

Coming to college I thought that every weekend I needed to go out to all the parties and darties, but in reality if there’s a weekend you want to stay in and have a movie night do it!  There will always be other parties, and sometimes a night in can be just as fun (or even more fun).

7. It’s okay to not have everything figured out.

If you don’t know what exactly you want to do with your life yet it’s okay.  You will be fine and eventually you will figure it all out.  You have four years, use it to your advantage to figure out what the heck you want to do.  

8. Naps are essential.

I never realized I could love napping so much, but in college you definitely learn how essential a good nap is.  Whether it’s for 20 minutes or two hours, naps are bae.  Always and forever.

Goodluck from all of us at HC at CofC! HCXO

Madeleine Sanders is currently a sophmore at the College of Charleston. She is an Arts Management major and in her free time can be found looking at pictures of puppies or spending hours in Sephora. Besides being involved with Her Campus, Madeleine is also a part of Phi Mu. She can't wait to see what college has in store for her and to help other collegiettes with their college experience as well.