5 Spring Cleaning Tips for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Spring can be a stressful time. Finals are coming up, last minute projects, and regular school work can become very frustrating. These five spring cleaning tips can help you de-clutter your life and keep you from getting over whelmed. 

1.     Give away clothesClothes you’ve never worn, don’t fit anymore, or aren’t your style anymore. That way you’ll have more room for anything new you buy for spring and summer. One trick for keeping track of what you’ve worn and haven’t worn is to put all of your hangers in backwards and when you wear something, flip the hanger around. Next time you clean out your closet you’ll know exactly what you have and haven’t worn! 

2.     Sell old textbooksIf you’re hanging on to any school textbooks you’ll never need, now is the time to sell them. Many schools do buy back programs and other companies will buy new and used textbooks.

3.     Throw away old makeupMakeup is one thing women rarely throw away. Bacteria can grow inside mascara, eye shadow, foundation, and most other makeup. Go through and throw away old makeup according to its shelf life, which you can find in this Elle article.

4.     De-clutter and organizeClean your desk or workspace and get rid of any excess or unnecessary items. Then organize what you have left. There are a lot of cute storage systems and organization ideas. This will make doing schoolwork less stressful!

5.     Clean out your freezerGo through and throw away any frozen food you haven’t eaten in the past two months. If something has been there since the beginning of the semester, it probably needs to be thrown out. 

A freshman theatre major at the College of Charleston. She enjoys acting, reading, shopping, and going to the beach. She hopes to either go into costume design, acting, or working for an editorial magazine.