4 Holiday Things To Do in Charleston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Charleston is a city where something is always going on.  Lucky for us students at CofC, that means we can never get bored (especially when finals are getting us down).  Charleston has tons to offer during the holidays from tree lightings to light shows and we’re lucky to be able to experience them during our time here at CofC.  Check out these festive favorites you won’t want to miss during the holiday season.

1. Holiday Festival of Lights

Image from Charleston County Parks.

The Holiday Festival of Lights put on by the Charleston County Parks is a staple in the Lowcountry running from November 11 to January 1.  Festival of Lights is a 3-mile stretch James Island County Park lit with various holiday scenes all paired to festive music.  Drive through with your friends and family to sing along and enjoy the nearly 700 displays set up.  In addition to this, once you’ve seen all the lights, park your car and walk through the park for hot chocolate, marshmallow roasting and much more.  

2. Downtown Charleston Tree Lighting

Photo from The Post and Courier.

Don’t miss the annual tree lighting in Marion Square on December 4.  The 60-plus foot tree will be lit as soon as the sun goes down following singing and guest appearences by Santa and his elves.  The Marion Square tree is a sight that cannot be missed in the Holy City and makes a great back drop for all of our ugly Christmas sweater photos.  

3. Chanukah in the Square

Photo from Southern Spirit.

Celebrate Chanukah (or Hanukah) with a lighting of a 9-foot menorah on December 29 with an event sponsored by the Yaschik/Arnold Jewish Studies program from CofC and Chabad of the Lowcountry.  Enjoy crafts, food and music with members of the Lowcountry community.  

4. Countdown on the Yorktown

Photo from Patriot’s Point.

Join the Lowcountry in ringing in the new year at Patriot’s Point aboard the Yorktown aircraft carrier.  Enjoy music from live bands and DJs, premium cocktails, light hor d’oeuvres and fireworks from aboard the ship.  Tickets must be purchased in advance and ticket holders must be 21 years of age or older.  

There’s tons to do in Charleston during the holiday season but don’t miss out on some of our favorite (and in our opinion) best events in the Lowcountry.  

Main photo from Matt & Jessica’s Sailing Page.

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.