19 Thoughts from a Northerner Living in the South

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

When I moved to Charleston a month ago, I did not expect to discover as many differences between the north and the south as I’ve found. So, here are some of the thought’s I’ve had while exploring south:

1. What is Chick-fil-a? And Cookout? And Krispy Kreme? And Zaxby’s? And Bojangles?

Why are none of these places in the north? I think I’m going to petition to get Chick-fil-a up here at least.

2. Everyone here is so nice!

They say hi to me! They all wave! And they don’t laugh at me when I trip on the bricks! This place is a dream!

3. Where is the nearest Dunkin Donuts?

I think I’m getting withdrawal symptoms from my lack of Caramel Swirls…At least I know there’s one at the airport, I can wait until I fly home to get some…right?

4. WHY IS IT SO HOT?

AND HUMID? HOW HAVE PEOPLE LIVED HERE FOR SO LONG?  WHY AREN’T THOSE PEOPLE SWEATING IT IS 80 DEGREES OUTSIDE.

5. Can I wear my sweaters yet?

All of my friends up north are wearing their sweaters so I can totally get away with it right? Even though it’s 80 degrees?

6. Why aren’t the leaves changing?

I miss seeing all the orange, and red, and yellow in the mountains! Wait, where are the mountains here?

7. When is it appropriate to start wearing bean boots?

It’s 80 degrees out but they would look super cute on my Instagram… My feet will probably sweat a lot but it will be worth it, I mean do it for the ‘gram right?

8. Why is everyone saying nose goes?

I don’t understand. We say not it. Nose goes doesn’t exist. Where does the nose goes?

9. If it gets any hotter I am going to explode.

I was not built for this heat or humidity. And it doesn’t help that I’m wearing my sweaters and bean boots either.

10. Why do so many people say y’all?

It just sounds so southern I don’t understand.  Does anyone here actually say you guys?

11. Why am I starting to say y’all?

I spent 12 years learning “proper” grammar and y’all has already ruined it after I’ve lived here for a month.

12. I could really go for some Ben and Jerry’s right now.

Why doesn’t anyone here understand how good it is? It’s the greatest ice cream to ever exist.  I need to find myself some Phish Food ASAP.

13. It’s called a cart not a buggy.

Buggies are for horses, carts are for shopping.

14. Where can I find some real maple syrup?

Fake maple syrup is just too sweet. I may never be able to eat waffles or pancakes with maple syrup again…  Maybe I could get my parents to send me some!

15. Does everyone listen to country music?

Doesn’t it all sound the same too?  I see a lot of girls wearing cowgirl boots here too, is it a thing? Aren’t their feet hot? When did everything get so country?

16. College football is a big deal?

People are dressing up? And painting their bodies? What even is tailgating? This seems insane. Should I just watch the game on tv instead?

17. I LOVE SWEET TEA SO MUCH!

SO MUCH! Why don’t they have this in the north?  We need this in the north as soon as possible, please!

18. Where are all the creemee stands?

I see a lot of places for gelato and snowballs, but I have no idea where I can find a creemee.

19. What are the chances of a snow day today?

0%. All of the time.

Being in the south has definitely been a culture shock, but then I remember I’m living in one of the best places to be in the world.  Charleston.  And so far, this city isn’t too bad.  

Just a Vermonter exploring the Carolinas and trying to find the best sweet tea in the south.