10 Things You Learn Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, many people will reflect the past school year. Here are just a few things that the Charleston class of 2018 has learned this year. 

1.     Friendships don’t always last…

The people you meet the first week probably won’t end up being your best friends. Still, its nice to have someone to sit with at lunch or walk to class with.

2.     But when you find that one group of friends, everything just clicks. 

There was that one moment where you knew that you’d be friends!

3.     It’s hard to stay healthy 

The freshman 15 is real. The added stress of a new environment, not having parents cook for you, and wanting fast, easy options don’t help, but by sophmore year, you should have it figured out.

4.     Living away from home is hard. 

Living with roommates can be a challenge and homesickness can actually happen to a lot of freshman at some point. Most people go to college without having spent more that a few weeks away from home. It can be hard whether you’re ten minutes away or ten hours away. But… 

5.     Call your parents at least once a week. 

They would love to hear how classes are going, whether you’ve made any new friends, and so on. It may seem tiedous or lame, but eventually you’ll come to love hearing your parents’ voices.

6.     Laundry is easier than you think! 

It may seem like a huge feat the first time (and for some people it is), but once you’ve got your routine down its easy sailing.

7.     Its ok to switch your major. 

Most freshman come in undecided and many of those that don’t will switch their major. Trial and error with classes is the best way to figure out if you want to be doing something for a career.

8.     Don’t regret any life experience

Freshman year is all about making memories, having fun, and making some mistakes. This happens to pretty much everyone, so don’t feel bad or ashamed about any experiences, only learn from them!

9.     Ask a lot of questions. 

Whether its in class or meeting new people, ask questions. Your professors will usually love the fact someone is paying attention and you could possibly meet somone who ends up becoming your best friend.

10. Its okay if you don’t have it all figured out!

Freshman year is all about figuring yourself out and trying new things. Taking a random class and loving it, joining a random club and making some great friends, doing something that scares you, all of these things are part of the freshman experience!

To all the freshman out there, you made it through your first year! 

A freshman theatre major at the College of Charleston. She enjoys acting, reading, shopping, and going to the beach. She hopes to either go into costume design, acting, or working for an editorial magazine.