We Joined Jimmy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

Jimmy Lardin is a junior Political Science major with a triple minor in English, Ethics, and Environmental Studies. He is twenty- one years old and is from Shelbyville, IN. He is also our next SGA president!

Her Campus (HC): What made you want to run for SGA president?

Jimmy Lardin (JL): It’s a goal that I have had for a long time because I always loved being involved. However, I have learned in college that you should never apply for a position unless you feel that you would be the best candidate for it, so for a majority of the school year I wasn’t going to run. That being said, I talked to a few people and convinced myself to give it a try.

HC: Other than SGA, what are you involved in on campus?

JL:

• Brother of Delta Tau Delta

• Education and Reflection chair for Alternative Break

• Student Orientation Coordinator

• Cofounder of BU Political  

• Student Senator

HC: What is the difference between a Student Orientation Coordinator and a Student Orientation Guide?

JL: It’s a step up. I did SOG for two years.Their job is more hands on with the first years during actual orientation. The SOC works with PULSE to help actually plan student orientation. The SOCs also help with the interview process of SOGS.

HC: Favorite place to hang out on campus?

JL: Delt House and Starbucks. I like how Starbucks is kind of the watering hole on campus. People will actually go out of their way to walk through Starbucks just for the chance to see somebody they know.

HC: What is the biggest character development or change you have experienced since joining college?

JL: I have learned tact in my extrovertnesswhen to stick up for things, and when to have discourse. I think the most constructive conversations are when you can hear the other side of the argument, and be willing to admit when you might be wrong.

HC: One thing you want to do before you die?

JL: Work for the United Nations on Environmental Justice, and do a handstand in Antarctica.

HC: What’s one quirk you have that not a lot of people know about?

I’m incredibly organized in academics, but if you saw my room you would not be able to fathom how the two things go together. Like, I am extremely messy. I think my mattress pad is leaning off my bed right now… I also love the cold.

HC: What is a secret (or not so secret) pet peeve of yours?

JL: I hate when people drive to the HRC. It is a waste of fuel, and you are going there to workout so you might as well walk. I just hate the irony in it, and it is terrible for the environment.

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.