Tea Time: Not Showing Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

Y’all can’t complain about the lack of tea in your cup if you never show up to the tea party. That’s just common sense. This tea time Tuesday we are talking about showing up, and how minority students at Butler University never do.

If y’all don’t get y’all sorry behinds in these damn discussions I will truly scream. There have been forums/ meet and greets for the canidates applying for the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer several times in the last month, and I did not see nearly enough students of color at these discussions. There were also Q&As for the canidates applying for the Vice President of Student Affairs position and once again not nearly enough minority students there.  I can’t talk for all minority groups, but black people stay complaining about the lack of representation in facualty and staff and yet y’all don’t show up to the places/times when Butler administration gives you a say??? Sad.

I went to a Diversity Works meeting yesterday, you know, the Diversity Works thing that has been in the ButlerConnection for weeks,  and the individual there told me that only 18 students had showed up in the entirity of them being there. 18 students. Now let me tell you why that is some bullshit. First of all, it was open to all students, not just minority students, so anybody could have attended, y’all just chose not to.

Diversity Works has a quorum of 10% of the particular student population. In other words, 10% of white students had to have shown up for the white students’ perspective to be considered significant data. 10% of black students on Butler’s campus is 18. Besides the fact that Butler having 180 black students seems like the epitamy of fake news, it also means that in order for the black opinion, that was given at Diversity Works, to mean anything at all, all of the students that showed up had to be black, and I know that is not what happened. So where does that leave us? 1) The black students that did show up may have wasted their time because their comments/compaints will either be discarded or not taken seriously. 2) Butler University has been given a valid reason to disregard black students’ comments and complaints once again.  Congragulations. We played ourselves.

If there is one thing you learn from me this week it should be this: show up or shut up. If y’all don’t actually show up when it matters don’t get mad when nothing happens. Ranting to your roommate isn’t going to cut it, actually do something. That concludes this week’s tea time. I hope you guys have a lovely rest of your week.

“When one is thirsty for the truth, the tea brews itself.”

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.