My Favorite Phrases on (Black) Twitter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

I’m going to start this article off with a quick acknowledgement. I understand these sayings can, and probably do, exist off of Black twitter; however, the first time I saw these phrases it was on my Twitter feed so there’s that.

• Life comes at you fast

This phrase can be used in cases of instantaneous karma, or even when you procrastinate to the point of no return. Examples include:

• Ima keep it real with you chief

This phrase is usually used right before you give somebody some tough love. Emphasis on the tough.

• Shooters gonna shoot

This phrase is a play off of “shooting your shot” which basically means trying your luck, or giving it a go. It’s most common context is romantic/sexual. So when someone says “shooters gonna shoot” it means that this person often tries their luck romantically, and don’t really mind getting swerved or rejected. After all, shooters gonna shoot.

• Tryna see something

This phrase is usually used when you’ve got an agenda – this agenda is often shooting your shot.

There are a ton more, but these are my favorite right now! Anyway share this article, and follow Her Campus on social media. I’m tryna see something.

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.