5 Steps to Making Spring Semester a Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

School is back in session and I, like usual, have done nothing over break in order to prepare me for the spring semester slaughter. However, as a junior, this is not my first rodeo and I have planned out five easy steps that have proven useful in the past.

Step 1:

Forgive yourself for the fall semester. New year, new you. Don’t let the library trigger you.  Delete the cumulative GPA calculator from your phone, even for just a little while. You are not who you were last semester. You are better because, now, you know better.

Step 2:

Take your syllabi and record any and all due dates for your classes as soon as possible. I’d recommend you do this step by the end of the first week. This keeps you from falling into the ‘ I thought the teacher would remind me’ trap. You need to remind you. While you are doing this make sure you do not mistake “due” for “do”. You knew about the 15 page final paper the first day of class so don’t  make it to where you have to break typing world records in the last week in order to turn it in on time.

Step 3:

Take small breaks every now and then. Spring semester feels like forever because the only built in break is one week we are given for Spring Break.  An easy way to counteract this spring semester slump is to create your own breaks. I recommend you do these breaks during weekends and evenings; however, you are a person before you are a student so if you don’t believe you are mentally or emotionally stable enough to go to class then don’t. In fact, I would personally take that time you aren’t in class and reach out to Butler’s Counseling and Consultation Services (CCS). CCS services, except for the University’s psychiatrist, are free to Butler students so you should always feel free to take advantage of those resources.

Step 4:

Go to class. I know it’s cold, still go. I usually don’t say this, but sometimes you can’t listen to your inner voice. Sometimes it isn’t actually right. One of those times is when it convinces you that ‘ you won’t miss that much’, or that ‘ you can just get notes from a friend’. If you are mentally, emotionally, and physically well enough to attend class – go. You’ll feel better, and the teacher will notice that perfect attendance.

Step 5:

Speaking of pleasing teachers, step five is to make yourself known to your teachers, however you choose to do that. Some people go to office hours, some people volunteer in class and some people just laugh at all the teacher’s bad jokes, but no matter how you go about it getting personally acquainted with your teacher is extremely helpful in the long run.  In my experience, most teachers have an elusive “I like you” curve that they give to their favorite students. While this curve can’t transform your grade, it can often cause favorable rounding.If it’s as easy as asking their teacher how they are, why not do it.

Obviously you should also study and work hard to get a good GPA. However, I believe that a lot of people get lost in the “must study” mentality and forget the basics. I am not saying that completing these five things will guarantee you a high GPA, but they are steps (pun intended) in the right direction.

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.