Stop saying I’m “not like other girls”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

There’s a difference between meeting someone you think is a cool person and meeting someone of the female gender that you like then saying, “you’re not like other girls”. Really?

You can’t think of a single pickup line that isn’t as offensive as this one? Just like being called ‘one of the guys’ seems nice because it shows you like hanging out with that person, but it would be kinder to not lump them with an entire gender based on stereotypical assumptions. You might as well say, “I think the majority of the female population I’ve had remote interest in is basic and maybe even psychotic because they weren’t unrealistically perfect. Now I assume every girl is lame and hates sports and beer and video games because apparently, males have a monopoly on those things. But you have a slight interest in them so you might not suck as much as most females do.” Stop thinking all woman are a stereotype of wine loving crybabies who don’t understand most popular action movie quotes and trivia. Those girls (which sometimes includes myself) are also beautifully creative people, but stop thinking they’re not easy to hang around.

Just because a woman asks for beer at frat party, or rather see Rouge One over Fifty Shades Darker does not give you the right to put her in a box labeled, “She doesn’t like girly things so she’s not a lame cliché”. Guys who say you’re not like other girls need either a reality check or a brick thrown in their direction. Fun fact: girls are awesomely diverse and you obviously don’t deserve one if you see most of them as horrible idiots who definitely have surpassed you in maturity years in advance. All people are worth something, and saying that cheesy line is demeaning and shows that guy has issues beyond my capability to deal with. This is exactly the same as saying, “All men are dogs!” Guys are great people, women are great people, but the human being comparing you to an entire gender as a horrible thing is not a great person. Lesson learned, choose a different pickup line that your mother would be a little bit prouder of. #GIRLPOWER 

Gina Marie is a third year Communication major at University at Buffalo. From Long Island, NY, the Hampton beaches and perfect pizza parlours are where she's most comfortable. While not working on Her Campus articles, Gina spends her days working with the Buffalo Pink Campus Team and works as a stylist for Vanilla Sky Boutique at home. She's looking forward to traveling and life ahead of college, so keep an eye out for blogs on fashion, food, and more! Instagram: ginamarieciappina Twitter: @ginaciappina