An Alternative Black Girl’s Guide to PWI’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Right off the bat, some of you are probably wondering three things: What is a PWI? What is an alternative black girl (ABG)? And why do they need a guide?

A PWI is a Predominately White Institution, which is basically the antithesis to HBCU’s (Historically Black Colleges and Universities). The term PWI isn’t really formally recognized but it is just as important as HBCU. An alternative black girl (also lovingly known as carefree black girls) is a newer term that describes black girls that don’t fit into the conventional mold of blackness. The definition may seem problematic because it implies that there is a stereotypical way that black people act, which isn’t true—and that’s exactly why the term exists. The term isn’t necessarily restricted to black girls who have so called white interests. Any person of color who doesn’t always conform to their cultures social norms can be considered alternative. Some examples of ABGs are Amandla Stenberg, Janelle Monae, Willow Smith, Halsey, Amber Rose, and Rihanna. 

As for the last question, I must admit that this is post is more informational than it is a guide, but “An Alternative Black Girl’s Guide to PWI’s” sounds way better than “Um, Hey. I Know It’s Kind Of Weird Going To A PWI When You’re Unconventionally Black And It’s Probably Hard To Explain What Being Alternatively Black Means To Those Who Don’t Know But It’s Cool Because Dude, I Totally Understand. So, Yeah.”

For an ABG, finding a clique of AB friends after elementary school is tough, especially if her school isn’t predominately black. I was lucky to have minority dominated middle and high schools so, by the time I was in 10th grade, I had found my niche. However, if I were in a school that was 58% white and 8% black, like, oh, I don’t know, The University at Buffalo, finding ABGs would probably be a lot harder.

Oh, wait, I do go to the University of Buffalo and finding fellow ABGs is a lot harder.

This difficulty stems from naivety from both white and black people. The typical ABG isn’t any more intelligent than the average person, but their perspective on what it means to be black is isn’t as one-dimensional.  ABGs are the girls who may like heavy metal, EDM, punk music, alternative music, and rock in general. They may attend AfroPunk and have an undercut with a rainbow of colors in their hair. Others may be sporting an afro or large colorful boxbraids. A nose ring and a septum piercing may be in their nostrils in addition to an array of piercings in their ear.  Some may date only black guys but some may date anyone outside of their race. Some may be waiting for marriage to have sex and some may be rightfully sexually unsrestrited. Some may not be into guys at all—in fact, some may be asexual and not be into anyone. Others may be non-binary (meaning they don’t identify with being either a woman or man) but still identify and are welcomed into the ABG lifestyle. There’s a nice amount who are really into anime who are also hardcore gamers and Mountain Dew drinkers but can still contour the hell out of their cheekbones. I know plenty of ABGs who hate skirts, dresses, and high heels and plenty who only wear skirts, dresses and high heels. With that being said, the one thing that all ABGs have in common is that we’re black. We’re just as black as Dr. Coretta Scott King, Nicki Minaj, Mae Jemison, Beyonce, Rekia Boyd, and Janelle Monae.

The most common insult we get is “You act white,” or “You’re not really black.” Non-black people of color might be familiar with the alternative “You’re whitewashed.”  Now, I’ll be the first to admit that there are some people of color who are so obsessed with conforming to white people that they denounce and sometime ridicule their own culture—but we aren’t talking about them. Another gem is “I like you because you don’t act ratchet like other black girls.” This is a personal favorite because it’s really supposed to be a compliment, but it’s actually very demeaning. ABGs may like heavy metal, piercings, and funky hair colors, but we also really like the skin we’re in and the culture we come from.

Let me rephrase: choosing to engage in alternative activities does not take away an ABGs identity as a black woman, girl or non-binary. We’re just as proud of hip hop loving, gum smacking, loud black girls that are perceived as ratchet and ghetto as we are of ourselves. In fact, some days we may be the hip-hop loving gum smacking, loud black girls that are perceived as ratchet and ghetto while simultaneously listening to Diplo. Why? Because being black doesn’t have any boundaries. No amount of Nirvana or eyeliner can invalidate your pro-#BlackLivesMatter opinions, outrages and rants on social media, and don’t let anyone tell you differently.