This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Don’t have a lot of spending money for the trip? Spent most of it on the vacation itself? Well then, here are some tips to help you save a bit of money while on vacation so it can last the entire time!

1. Plan Accordingly

Write down how much you plan to spend on this trip. Then, split that amount into different categories such as food, shopping, drinks, etc. Figure out how much you want to spend for each thing and when the time comes, stick to that list. It will leave you with money for the entire trip and prevent you from blowing it all on drinks your first night out.  If you see that beautiful dress in the store-front window and its about $100 dollars over how much you planned to spend, then just walk away boo…walk away. 

2. Make your own snacks

This will definitely make a difference. Instead of buying a bunch of snacks or eating out everytime you feel hungry, make your own before the trip. It may cost more (especially if it requires a bunch of ingredients) but you will have a lot more. It may even last the entire trip! You can take it with you and whenever you feel like buying that $3 bag of chips, just pull out your homemade treats. Plus, it is a great way to stay away from all those unhealthy snacks.

Check out these recipes: Cheddar Snack Mix, Homemade Trail Mixes, Cheesy Kale Popcorn, Chocolate Covered Pretzels

3. Scour the Area

Google restaurants in the area ahead of time – jot down ones that are cheaper, have deals during certain periods of the day, or give you more bang for your buck. Or, ask the locals for a cheap place to eat. Usually, they won’t steer you wrong. Do the same for clubs and bars – see if the clubs have ladies night that week (which means you will either pay nothing or way less than the regular surcharge) and check the bars for happy hour.

4. Public Transportation

I know, cabs are the go-to for trips. However, it can get expensive especially if you want to go across town. Try taking the bus or metro. It will be way cheaper and a nice way to meet people in the area ( I mean, unless you’re sitting next to that weird man who smells like fish).

5. Student/Group Discounts

Check and see if places (e.g. clothing stores, restaurants, outdoor activities) offer discounts to students. More than likely, they do – especially if you are in an area many college kids visit. The discount may not be much but at least it will save you some money. Make sure you have your Student I.D. Also, some places offer deals for larger groups. So if you are travelling with more than five people, check to see!

Alexandra Whitehead is a Senior at SUNY at Buffalo State. Originally from Virginia, she is majoring in Fashion Textile and Techonology with a concentration in Merchandising. She also has a minor in Theatre. Alexandra is a big advocate for the arts, taking great pleasure in literature, performing, and media arts. She also loves traveling and experiencing new things. In the Fall of 2014, she had the great opportunity to study abroad in London at Regents University. It was an amazing experience that taught her so much about herself and the different cultures around her. When she graduates, Alexandra aspires to be a film/television actress, owner of a eco-friendly fashion boutique, and owner of an animal rescue that saves feral cats and kittens from the streets.