This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity of Buffalo State is none other than Patrick Crosby. He is both new to the institution, having only started at Buffalo State the beginning of this semester (Fall 2015), but he is also the new program coordinator for the COMPASS program. I am apart of this wonderful program on campus and wanted to not only ask him questions to get to know him better but I also asked questions about the program so that people can know more about it. Here is how the interview went:

A.V: For starters, tell me about yourself. Things like where you are from, favorite sports you played growing up, favorite things to do when not working, etc.  

P.C: I’m a Buffalo native through and through. I grew up in Downtown Buffalo. Throughout my childhood I became interested in various things, many of which I still have a major interest in. I grew up with a strong interest in Football. I played little league until I went to Hutch Tech High School. While in high school, I swam competitively all four year of school. During my senior year I was a track and field athlete. Throughout college, my love for playing football was satisfied by playing intramural football every semester for 5 years. Today some of my favorite things to do are spend time with my wife, Kate, train as an amateur Muay Thai kickboxer, try new and ethnic foods, write poetry, volunteer, practice graphic design, and see the latest movies.

A.V: I know you are the program coordinator for the COMPASS program. What can you tell us about it, for people who don’t know.

P.C: The COMPASS Program is a special consideration program that recognizes the unique talent and capabilities that select students bring to our campus community. It is designed for students who did not meet the criteria for regular admission, but have demonstrated the potential for success in college. The program provides them with a supportive environment throughout their first year at Buffalo State where they can develop these talents and flourish, both academically and socially, with the assistance of a dedicated team.

A.V: How are you working to improve the program for future/ incoming students?

P.C: As the new Coordinator of the program, I am looking to assess the various aspects of the program. I want to examine what worked in the past and what did not have the ideal outcome that was desired. I want to incorporate a new peer mentor initiative that will expose future students to the many success students of SUNY Buffalo State. I also want to incorporate a supplemental faculty and staff support system. I want to provide the students with an ideal support system that caters to each of their specific needs.

A.V: Are you involved in any other organizations or programs on and off campus?

P.C: Currently, I am a member of the NACADA organization. One of its goals is to provide professional development opportunities that are responsive to the needs of advisors and advising administrators.

A.V: Is there any piece of advice you want to give current and/ or future college students?

P.C: A piece of advice that I would give all college students, current or future, is to question everything. What I mean by that is to question yourself, question the material that you’re reading, question your actions, question your professors. College is about information gathering and self-development. College in a wordless book, it’s your job to fill it up with all of the right information that will assist you in becoming the scholar, person, and professional that you desire to be.

Amanda Velazquez Senior Buffalo State College Campus Correspondent Media Production Major Apparel Construction and Pattermaking Minor Obsessed with Justin Timberlake An athlete on the days my heart decides to act right. Overall, I’m super dope!