Meet Kat, HC Member and Athlete!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Name: Katlyn McNamara

Hometown: Liverpool 

Major/Minor: Public Communications

Year: Senior 

Quote to live by:“If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun!” – Katharine Hepburn 

HC Buff State: What activities are you involved in at Buffalo State? 

Kat: “At Buff State, I am on the cross country team, the track & field team, PRSSA and Her Campus!”

HC Buff State: How long have you been on the team?

Kat: “I’ve been on the team since freshman year. I ran all throughout high school too, so I was actually recruited to come here by the coach who was here at the time.”

HC Buff State: What’s has been the biggest challenge with running? Kat:  “For me, staying motivated. I love running but it’s one of those sports you have to push yourself at, and on a day when you’re having a crappy day it’s hard to get yourself started. But once you get going you remember why you wanted to get out there and it’s not so bad.”

HC Buff State: Have you ever participated in a marathon?

Kat: “I have not but once I’m done with collegiate running I definitely want to! I really really want to run the Disney Marathon! The one in Orlando Florida! You run through all the parks and then you get access to them afterwards to go on rides and stuff!”

HC Buff State: What is your biggest inspiration? 

Kat: “For running Jordan Hasav, I try tI try to channel my inner her when I compete! I even stole her hairstyle! For life in general my mom. She’s extremely strong and she literally knows everything! It’s because of her I am where I am today. She’s that little voice in my head.”

HC Buff State: How long have you been involved with Her Campus? 

Kat: “This is my first semester writing for Her Campus! Unfortunately, I didn’t find out about it until my senior year.”

HC Buff State: What made you decide to become apart of the team? 

Kat: “I run my own fashion/lifestyle blog and I’ve loved doing that. When I found out about Her Campus I was really excited that our school had a chapter! I love writing and I love that it all can be related to each specific campus! It seemed like a perfect fit for me!”

HC Buff State: What’s your favorite things to write about? 

Kat: “I really love doing DIY’s. I like being able to show my creative side and decorating my dorm in the process! I know a lot of us are “poor college kids” and DIY’s are so much cheaper that ordering things online, but they’re just as fun and cute! Plus, you feel super accomplished after making it!”

HC Buff State: If you had any advice for current/incoming students, what would it be? 

Kat: “College is what you make it. It took me a really long time to figure that out. When you come to college you’re kind of just figuring out who you are. So take every advantage you can and don’t listen to any negativity. Do what makes you happy regardless of what anyone else thinks! And work your butt off”

Alexandra Whitehead is a Senior at SUNY at Buffalo State. Originally from Virginia, she is majoring in Fashion Textile and Techonology with a concentration in Merchandising. She also has a minor in Theatre. Alexandra is a big advocate for the arts, taking great pleasure in literature, performing, and media arts. She also loves traveling and experiencing new things. In the Fall of 2014, she had the great opportunity to study abroad in London at Regents University. It was an amazing experience that taught her so much about herself and the different cultures around her. When she graduates, Alexandra aspires to be a film/television actress, owner of a eco-friendly fashion boutique, and owner of an animal rescue that saves feral cats and kittens from the streets.