Meet Jenn, A COMPASS Peer Leader and Mentor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Name: Jennifer Conrad 

Hometown: Java Village, New York 

Major: Sociology 

Quote you live by: “Whatever you are, be a good one”

HC Buffstate: How long have you been involved in the COMPASS program

Jenn: This is my second year being involved. 

HC Buffstate: Describe what COMPASS is, for those who may not be aware of it? 

Jenn: COMPASS is a mentor program for students selected by Buffalo State. They are selected on an academic basis – these students may not have done well academically prior to college, and COMPASS is a program through the school offering an opportunity for success during their first year of college. Not only are students equipped with a mentor, but they are also assigned peer leaders as well who helps them get better acquainted on campus, host programs, and be more socially involved.    

HC Buffstate: What are your positions in the program?

Jenn: I am a Mentor and Peer Leader. 

HC Buffstate: What’s your favorite part of COMPASS?

Jenn: Being able to mentor the students and help them feel more comfortable in this new phase of their lives.

HC Buffstate: What else are you involved in at Buffalo State?

Jenn: Residence Life, Residence Hall Judicial Board, Student Booster Club, and Orientation

HC Buffstate: What advice would you give to current/incoming students? 

Jenn: In college, you have to learn how to balance and adapt to the new implementation of freedom in your life. If you can’t balance your freedoms and sort your priorities, then college will be too hard for you to handle. 

Alexandra Whitehead is a Senior at SUNY at Buffalo State. Originally from Virginia, she is majoring in Fashion Textile and Techonology with a concentration in Merchandising. She also has a minor in Theatre. Alexandra is a big advocate for the arts, taking great pleasure in literature, performing, and media arts. She also loves traveling and experiencing new things. In the Fall of 2014, she had the great opportunity to study abroad in London at Regents University. It was an amazing experience that taught her so much about herself and the different cultures around her. When she graduates, Alexandra aspires to be a film/television actress, owner of a eco-friendly fashion boutique, and owner of an animal rescue that saves feral cats and kittens from the streets.