Girl Code: Dress Code Violation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Hey Ladies,

Someone out there suggested we talk about dress code violations and how to approach our friends if they are violating the dress code.

I know we’ve all had that moment of indecisiveness about how to approach our friends properly without coming off rude or hurtful when they’re not wearing the most “appropriate” of outfits.

Here’s a couple of ways to approach your friend(s):

1- Subtle hints: If you don’t want to come right out and say “hey your outfit is pretty terrible”, try throwing little clues that you’re not really in to their outfit. Try asking if they have another outfit they could wear, tell them the outfit isn’t right for the event you’re going to, or tell them another one of their outfits you like will look much better.

2- Straight forward and to the point: Tell your friend you don’t like their outfit. If you both are good friends than they will appreciate that you are being honest and not sending them out not looking their best. Don’t be rude (unless that’s the kind of relationship you both have) try your best to have a solution if you plan on giving them criticism on their outfit.

At the end of the day we only want what’s best for our friends, in the case of dress codes we want them to look their best and never be that person at an event who is the butt of the jokes for their poor outfit choice.

Images found at http://media.beta.photobucket.com/user/Halbertson/media/GSG%20Images/dresscode.jpg.html and http://media.beta.photobucket.com/user/goombah55449/media/Dresscode.jpg.html

Brittany Windham is a Senior at Buffalo State College in Buffalo, NY. She is studying Fashion Design with a concentration in Apparel Design. She is a New York City native with a love for the arts and anything that allows her to express her creativity. She is a published poet and a member of the Chi Alpha Epsilon Honors Society. She has worked alongside artist, designers, and students in New York City to promote environmental awareness through art with her participation in Digital Day Camp through the Eyebeam team. She is currently a member of the Orange Crush team on her campus and she one day aspires to have her own online store which recycles and reuses old accessories and clothing to create new ones.