College Fashion 101: How 99% of Us Do School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

We all know college is hard – we knew when we signed on, right? Well, most of us did. We were expecting all nighters, and knew we’d be cramming two coffee runs into our morning routines. We knew there would be a lot of homework, a lot of studying, and a whole heck of a lot of stress.

So why did we come to this mystical land of exhaustion, caffeine, and stress: for an education, to find ourselves. That’s what everyone always says. You find your best (or worst?) self in college. Maybe. If you’re not too busy drowning in that oversized t-shirt you may or may not have slept in last night. 

Because, let’s face it, you don’t have time for pajamas.

How do we know this? Because we have done the same thing. College is where your fashion sense takes a turn for the worse; where you realized just how far you’ll go to not have to wear real clothes all week. 

Chances are, you’re waking up five minutes before class and hustling out the door half-asleep.  Just take a look at your wardrobe: a giant hoodie, some leggings, maybe a pair of Uggs? We know you just woke up, we know you hit that snooze button four or five times, we know you realized you slept in too long and ran out the door in whatever smelled decent – because we did, too.

That’s why we look like this:

You begin to think, do you risk trying to get away with wearing what you wore yesterday, or do you spend your precious few minutes putting together a new, stylish outfit? But wait, you wanted to grab a coffee, too…

You don’t even care what you wear – it doesn’t even have to fit. Clothes are clothes. 

Do you even match? You don’t have time to match!

Then, there are always those fashionable few who always look great when they’re on campus. And we’re not sure if we love them or hate them. You see them walk to class as if the quad was their runway. 

Meanwhile, you’re just trying to stay awake.

But you still rock it.

You rock it – hoodies and all.