Characters We Wish Were Running for President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Politics – who doesn’t love politics? Okay, sarcasm aside, the truth is we don’t have very popular presidential candidates this year. Is anybody really happy with the two candidates this country has produced? We’ll leave that up to you, considering it’s a matter of opinion. But haven’t you ever wondered which of your favorite fictional characters might run for office? Who would you vote for? Here’s our official list of potentials:

1.) Atticus Finch. Atticus Finch – a Southern gentleman, and an exceptional lawyer. Finch is famous for his defense of Tom Robinson in Harper Lee’s classic To Kill A Mockingbird. Widowed father of two, this man knows all about good, old-fashioned American values. A traditional man with a progressive sense of justice – Finch is exactly the kind of person you’d want to see in the White House. A defender of the innocent, and a true champion of the people. 

2.) Eddard Stark. Was there ever a more honorable character? George R. R. Martin created an extraordinary man in Ned Stark – someone who’s loyal, trustworthy, dependable, and all together noble. A man dedicated not only to his family, but to his sense of duty. Stark is beyond brave – he’s a man of convictions and morals – and, heck, he’d make one great POTUS.

3.) Hermione Granger. How cool would it be to have a witch as our President? We think it would be pretty fantastic. What’s so great about Miss Granger, you might ask? Well, for starters, she knows it’s “levios-a” and not “levi-o-sa.” She’s been called the “brightest witch of her age” – and she has experience with a Time Turner. What more could you want?

4.) Elizabeth Bennet. One word should come to mind when you think of Jane Austen’s Elizabeth Bennet: witty. We could use a President with a bit of wit, don’t you think?

5.) Captain Jack Sparrow. Seems a little strange to put a known pirate on our list, right? Not really, considering how great the man is at improvising. And he can talk his way out of anything. A thief with a heart of gold.

6.) George Bailey. A dreamer and a do-er. We love George Bailey – sure, he’s a little hard of hearing, but here’s a man who’d do anything for anybody.

7.) Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived would make an excellent President. Brave, compassionate, and strong – what more could you ask for in a Presidential candidate? Plus, he’s the king of sass.

8.) Daenerys Targaryen. She has three dragons. End of story.

9.) Scarlett O’Hara. Here’s a young woman who doesn’t know when to quit. She’s got a spine of steel – and hey, she might be whiny, but she certainly isn’t wimpy.

10.) Holiday Golightly. Holly Golightly stands her ground and doesn’t apologize for being precisely who she is; something we should all strive for.