5 Ways To Stay Sane During A Stressful Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.
Let’s be honest, college is rough. Most of us are juggling around 15 credits, working crazy hours to make ends meet, and just trying to get by in life. It’s easy to get caught up in the craziness and forget to take a second to just let yourself breathe. These few simple steps can help keep your mind sharp and straight for this hectic semester.

1. Get your butt to the gym and exercise!

Not only is this good for you physically, but it’s also good for you mentally. It’s definitely tough during the school year to find time to exercise while taking five classes and working. However, working out is one of the best ways to relieve stress. It gives you a chance to work out all of the tensions and aggressions you have in a healthy and beneficial way. I mean, it’s probably better for you than punching somebody in the face, right?

2. Naps, naps, naps!

Sleep is the most important part of any day of the week, and if you don’t get it – then you’re gonna to be one cranky student. Even if it’s for an hour, it’s important to get a bit of sleep in throughout the day. Not only will you be able to turn your brain off for a little bit and have some time to relax, but you’ll wake up feeling more refreshed than ever – if it’s possible. Take it from the girl who works 10 hour overnights then goes straight to class…naps are crucial.

3. GO OUT!

Now, I’m fully aware that students can easily get swamped with work. However, I promise you that if your life is all work and no play, then you’re going to lose your mind. It doesn’t have to be EVERY night (and it shouldn’t be) but, going out once every two weeks will not hurt you. Everyone deserves and needs a day to let loose and enjoy themselves without having the stress of school on their mind. Don’t be afraid to go out on a Friday night after your homework is finished and grab a drink with a few friends. 

4. Get a planner – and actually use it!

I’m a visual person, and when I can see and read things I don’t feel as stressed. I started using a planner this semester, as well as a white erase calendar for my room – and let me tell you, THANK THE LORD FOR THEM. When you’re able to have things written out in front of you, it’s easier to plan what you should do and when. This can include homework assignments, projects, tests, and even the due dates for your bills. Plus, nothing beats that feeling when you can check something off as complete in your planner and knowing you never have to worry about it.

5. Headphones in, world out!

I think this is something many people do and don’t even realize how helpful it is. I’ve never met someone who does not have a favorite artist or a favorite song, and doesn’t blast it on repeat. Listening to music actually makes you happier – it’s scientifically proven! Belting your fave at the top of your lungs while you’re in the shower or driving down the highway will make you feel like a rockstar and like the rest of the world doesn’t exist. It’s like leaving reality, even if only 3 minutes. But that 3 minutes may be all you need.
I'm currently a senior at Buffalo State college finishing up her Bachelor's in Journalism! Not only do I write, but I've been singing ever since I was a little girl. I'm looking forward to furthering my Journalism career with Her Campus, and can't wait to show you my work!