5 Easy Workouts You Can Do In Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

The Freshman 15 is a real epidemic. Having food readily avaliable all day (sometimes, all night) will make anyone gain a few pounds. It slowly creeps up on you and before you know it, those jeans you bought over the summer are feeling a bit snug around the waist. But don’t you fret! We have some exercises that will help you stay fit while you’re munching away on all the food college has to offer.

1. Planking

Planking is a gret core exercise that will have you feeling the burn in seconds. Lie down on your stomach as if you’re about to start doing push-ups. Lift yourself up by your forearms and keep your entire body straight for the alloted time. Suck your belly button in to engage your core even more. This exercise is perfect for a dorm room because it doesn’t take up much space!

2. Air Squats

Also known as the body weight squat, this exercise will help strengthen the muscles in your thighs and buttocks. Stand in the middle of the room, feet wider than hip-width apart, and extend your arms out in front of you. Bend your knees and act as if you are about to sit down. Make sure everything is aligned – your knees over your ankles and your head/shoulders over your knees. Then, raise yourself back up and repeat. 

3. Russian Twists

This exercise will definitely strengthen your stomach. Sit on the ground with your knees bent and feet flat on floor. Lean back until you’re at a 45-degree angle.  Twist to one side and bring your hands together like a clap. As you’re doing this, pull your belly button in your spine (aka suck in your stomach). Then, twist to the other side and bring your hands together. Breathe out as you twist to the other side. This is 1 rep. 

4. Tricep Dips

Triceps are muscles located at the back of your arm. If you want to work on toning your arms, then this is the exercise for you. For this workout, you’ll need a chair. Place your hands shoulder-width apart on the chair. Straigten your arms and have your bottom a few inches from the seat of the chair. Slightly bend your knees and slowly lower your body down until your shoulders are at the same level as your elbows. Then, lift yourself back up. This is 1 rep. 

5. Superman

This exercise is, of course, based off the famous, fictional superhero. It helps work your lower back and glutes. If you do not own a mat, you can use a towel! Start off by lying flat on the ground. Extend your arms in front of you, palms down. Then, lift both your arms and legs off the ground using your back muscles. This should mimic a flying stance. Keep your core down on the ground as you do this. Once you’re lifted off the ground, hold the position for about a minute. Place your arms and legs back on the mat once the minute is up. This is 1 rep. 

Below is a home workout you can do! It includes the workouts mentioned in this article. Do it at least three times a week and you will start to see results. 

Alexandra Whitehead is a Senior at SUNY at Buffalo State. Originally from Virginia, she is majoring in Fashion Textile and Techonology with a concentration in Merchandising. She also has a minor in Theatre. Alexandra is a big advocate for the arts, taking great pleasure in literature, performing, and media arts. She also loves traveling and experiencing new things. In the Fall of 2014, she had the great opportunity to study abroad in London at Regents University. It was an amazing experience that taught her so much about herself and the different cultures around her. When she graduates, Alexandra aspires to be a film/television actress, owner of a eco-friendly fashion boutique, and owner of an animal rescue that saves feral cats and kittens from the streets.