Your Hurricane Relief Donations Count

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

2017 has brought upon our planet one of the most devastating hurricane seasons in recent history. Hurricane Harvey dropped more than 2 feet of rain on the fourth-largest city in the United States and took the lives of over 30 people and the shelter from over 30,000. A week later, we were introduced to Hurricane Irma. Irma was one the largest hurricanes to ever be recorded in history and cost the lives of nearly 70 people as well as the power from almost 7 million.

But hurricane season did not stop there–Hurricane Maria ravaged the Caribbean as a Category 5 (and later, Category 4) storm, sweeping away roofs and leaving many islands without power for months to come.

While the sun is finally shining again in the areas affected by the hurricanes and the stories are fading away in the media, the victims will continue battle the hurricanes for many years to come.

While the storms have brought forth devastation on an unfathomable scale, they has also sparked a remarkable response; thousands of rescuers have rushed to Houston, Florida, and the Caribbean to aid people in need. Going to hurricane-affected areas in-person is not in the cards for a lot of people. Plus, the rescue organizations operating in these zones are full of skilled hands that can’t do much with your labor. However, they can do a lot with your dime. Anyone who has a bit of spare cash can help out the millions of victims in Houston, Florida, and the Caribbean.

A lot of organizations are asking for donations at this time, but not all of them are worth contributing to for various reasons. Here is a list of trusted organizations, all of which are in dire need of increased resources:

Olivia is a junior writer and VP Tech for Her Campus Bucknell. She loves being on the Her Campus team because it's a unique platform for college women to support one another. Outside of Her Campus, Olivia is obsessed with her Westie, a lover of all things coral, and a muffin fanatic.