Is Your Best Friend Your Rival?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

I love Gossip Girl. And I love Blair and Serena’s friendship. It’s so fascinating. Maybe it’s because of their equally glamorous lives, maybe it’s because they do whatever they want, maybe it’s the way that they dress, or maybe it’s because of their never-ending feud. A friendship where there is constant competition and rivalry is definitely not a healthy one. Throughout the show, “S” and “B” constantly speak poorly about each other, lie to one-another, spread rumors, scheme against each other, and are almost always competing to be the best.

1.You always want the same things

Do you and your best friend always like the same boys? Or even worse do you and your best friend share the same boys? Even if you don’t share the same boys, do you think your best friend would ever go after your boyfriend? Like when Serena hooked up with Blair’s boyfriend, Nate Archibald. And then the only reason Blair knew was because Nate told her months later. Ouch.

2. They don’t stick up for you.

If your best friend heard a nasty rumor about you, what do you think she would do? Would they set the rumors straight? Would they just not say anything? Would they continue to spread the rumors themselves? Like when Blair told everyone that Serena had drug and alcohol problems, only to later find out it was actually Serena’s little brother who was in treatment.

3. You’re constantly competing to be better than one-another

If you found out you had a really amazing opportunity, would your best friend be happy for you? For example: If you got a really amazing job offer somewhere. Would they applaud you for your accomplishments? Like when Serena was asked to model in a fashion show. Blair hated how much attention she was getting so she attempted to sabotage the entire show.  

4. They often have alternative motives that differ than what they say

Does your best friend often say or do sketchy things around you? Do you always feel like there’s something you don’t know? Like when Blair went to a college interview at her dream school, Yale, and Serena showed up for one too, even though she had no intention of actually going there. Serena was so impressive at her interview that she got an invitation to a party at the dean’s house and a personal acceptance.

5. They are not always trustworthy

Have you ever kept something from your best friend because you were afraid of what she’d say? Have they ever said they wouldn’t say anything about something, but did it anyways? Have they ever given you a reason to not trust them? Like when Serena becomes suspicious that Blair is hooking up with her on and off ex, Dan Humphrey. Serena became so suspicious and jealous that she tried to sabotage Blair’s relationship with her boyfriend Prince Louis. She did this by sending Louis’s mother a list of every bad Gossip Girl blast about Blair, whether they were true or not.

XOXO