Why You Should Learn to be Alone and Love it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In the wake of Valentine’s Day, also known as Single’s Awareness Day, many of us come to the dramatic conclusion that we will spend our lives “forever alone.” No need to fear…that is actually true for everyone, even people currently in relationships. At the end of the day, the only person you are guaranteed to spend your life with is yourself. No, this realization is not meant to depress you or trigger an existential crisis, but instead, enlighten you to the importance of the emotional benefits that stem from being alone.

According to Psychology Today, “Learning to be alone may be initially scary but once mastered serves as the cornerstone for your development and growth as a human being. There’s so much to be gained from learning to rely, and more importantly, to trust your own inner voice as the best source for your own guidance.”

While it is important for our happiness to have a good support system of family and friends, it is equally important to have a good support system within yourself. Learning how to be independent can help you become more confident in making your own decisions, have a higher self-esteem, and a greater sense of accomplishment.

There is a huge difference between being alone and being lonely. Even people in a relationship may feel lonely if their partner is not giving them the security and happiness they depend on them for. That is why it is beneficial to not have to depend on another person for your own happiness.

Even if you do have a significant other, you are still the most significant person in your life. Don’t be fooled by romantic idealizations that come in the form of phrases such as “my better half” or “soulmate”; you are the only person you need. A partner is exactly that, a partner.

Learning how to be alone can even help you in providing a solid foundation for future relationships, whether they be platonic or romantic. Knowing that you can be alone offers you solace in that fact that if you and your partner do break up, it’s not the end of the world and you will survive. Also, it is impossible to have a healthy relationship with others if you don’t first establish a healthy relationship with yourself. Spend time alone in order to get to know yourself. If you don’t know who you are, you will constantly seek out affirmation from others. The best relationships form when each person knows who they truly are instead of depending on their partner to define themselves.

So if you spent February 14th celebrating Singles Awareness Day, don’t sweat it. You’re really only helping yourself! When the right person comes around, you will be well-prepared.

Cited source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-flux/201410/the-importance-being…

My name is Elizabeth Worthington and I am a sophomore at Bucknell University! I am a Psychology major and an English minor. I'm from the suburbs outside Philadelphia, PA.