Why are we laughing at Amanda Bynes? : Comments on Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

When Robin Williams died, we cried. Although not confirmed, it is believed that he suffered from depression or bipolar disorder, which led him to take his life on August 11, 2014. Meanwhile, Amanda Bynes is suffering from mental illness (supposedly bipolar disorder and/or schizophrenia, but this is not confirmed either), and we’re scoffing at her tweets. You know which ones I’m talking about, and if you don’t, you can look them up. I’m not going to share them here. Why? Because mental illness is not a spectator sport, as an internet user TheSmallestWaffle pointed out in a tweet that you’ve likely seen circulating the internet. 

So why are we laughing at Amanda Bynes? Maybe we don’t know how else to react. Statistics from NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental illness, say that one in four adults experience mental illness every year, and that one in seventeen lives with a serious mental illness. Mental illness is not uncommon, but it can so easily be hidden. Before and after photos of Amanda Bynes are also in circulation, many captioned “what happened?!”, as if her mental illness just appeared one day. You know what? Maybe it did. Or maybe she’s been hiding it for years. But in the end, she’s struggling, and we don’t need to know her details to support her. The consensus is that she was once happy, and now she’s crazy. Because mental illness is usually well-hidden, we are confused by Amanda Bynes’ erratic and impulsive behavior, and we shake our heads and call her crazy. The media isn’t helping us be understanding at all. TMZ recently released an article that, quite frankly, makes Amanda Bynes sound like a wild animal. 

You wouldn’t call someone suffering from a life-threatening condition that manifests itself physically a hot mess, so why do we label our peers who act erratically and impulsively as such? Perhaps we assume that all actions are conscious choices; but when you have a mental illness that is not being treated properly, it is very hard to fight the domineering influences of your mental illness. I once had a friend describe mental illness with a metaphor. “Imagine you’re holding onto a rope as tight as you can,” she said, “when you are fighting a mental illness, it feels like the rope is slipping away from your grip, no matter how desparately you try to hold on.” We all have ropes to hold on to, but mental illness can make maintaining your grip very, very difficult. It’s important to remember that the brain is an organ, and just like any other organ, it is susceptible to becoming sick. 

A significant portion of Amanda Byne’s and Robin Williams’ lives were spent in the entertainment industry.  Constantly in the public eye, celebrities must mask their stress and pain with a smile.  This does not only happen in Hollywood.  It happens here at Bucknell—every day.  Students are consistently undergoing the stress of school work and a variety of personal or family issues.  Yet no one talks about it.  When walking around campus, interactions with friends are quickly responded to with an automatic “I’m good, how are you?”.  This tendency is a product of stigma. As previously mentioned, each year, 1 in 4 Americans will struggle with mental illness— approximately 62 million Americans.  Each time a mocking headline or condescending article is published mocking the behavior, the day to day struggles of 62 million Americans is effectively belittled. The critical words of the media only serve to perpetuate the stigma and taboo of mental illness. We’re so susceptible to the media’s influence, so when stories depict people struggling with mental illness as dangerous, crazy, and maybe even comical, we accept that as the truth.

Such depictions drive people who are suffering away from seeking help. According to NAMI, nearly two-thirds of all people with a diagnosable mental illness do not seek treatment. Lack of knowledge, fear of disclosure, rejection of friends, and discrimination are a few factors that contribute to people with mental illness’ reluctance to seek help. 

How you can help:

NAMI suggests that fighting stigma can be done by using respectful language, including mental illness as a topic of diversity, becoming an advocate, and/or teaching others about mental illness. Always put the person before the illness—for example, never use terms like crazy, lunatic, or psycho. Instead, use phrases such as “a person with schizophrenia”.  A large part of using respectful language is correcting other people who use disrespectful language, which in turn helps spread understanding that mental illnesses are illnesses just like any other. By challenging stereotypes, you can help to create a shift in how society sees mental illness.

Some symptoms of mental illness from the American Psychiatric Association:

• Recent social withdrawal and loss of interest in others.
  • An unusual drop in functioning, especially at school or work, such as quitting sports, failing in school, or difficulty  performing familiar tasks.
  • Problems with concentration, memory, or logical thought and speech that are hard to explain.
  • Heightened sensitivity to sights, sounds, smells or touch; avoidance of over-stimulating situations.
  • Loss of initiative or desire to participate in any activity; apathy.
  • A vague feeling of being disconnected from oneself or one’s surroundings; a sense of unreality.
  • Unusual or exaggerated beliefs about personal powers to understand meanings or influence events; illogical or  “magical” thinking typical of childhood in an adult.
  • Fear or suspiciousness of others or a strong nervous feeling.
  • Uncharacteristic, peculiar behavior.
  • Dramatic sleep and appetite changes or deterioration in personal hygiene.
  • Rapid or dramatic shifts in feelings or “mood swings.

If you think that you are struggling with a mental health issue, don’t be afraid to reach out. Opening up to a close friend can help you to build a support group to trust. Additionally, you should seek help from Bucknell’s  Counseling and Student Development Center (the CSDC), where you will find free and confidential counseling services.

If you think that a friend might be struggling, one of the most important things to remember is that treatment is key. If your friend broke her leg, you would take her to the hospital. Similarly, a mental illness needs medical treatment.  Offer your support as a friend by being understanding and encourage your friend to seek professional help. For more tips on what to do if your friend is struggling with a mental health concern, read Health Magazines’ How to Help Someone Who’s Depressed. Although the title says depression, a lot of these tips can be applied to many mental health concerns.  

Please visit the CSDC’s website for a complete description of the services that Bucknell offers to students.For more information on mental illness, please visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness website.

http://www.nami.org/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm?ContentFileID=5148http://www.ravishly.com/2014/10/16/why-do-we-mourn-robin-williams-and-endlessly-mock-amanda-byneshttp://www.psychiatry.org/mental-health/more-topics/warning-signs-of-mental-illnesshttp://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20452135,00.htmlhttp://www.bucknell.edu/CounselingCenter

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com