What We Wish We Knew Before Starting an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

School’s out and your summer internship is about to begin. You can finally stop worrying about what you will be doing this summer. We know the search wasn’t easy, but all of that traveling to interviews was definitely worth it. Now, however, you probably face a greater challenge: How will you stand out? As former interns, we are here to share our two cents on having a successful internship. So, before you put on your oh-so-stylish suit, throw on some heels, and grab your company ID, be sure to consider HC Bucknell’s advice:

Set Goals Before Your Internship. We can assure you that this summer will be an incredible learning experience filled with personal and professional growth. To optimize this experience, determine what you hope to get out of the internship before your first day of work. Set attainable goals you feel you can actually accomplish. While the internship may not be a 10-week interview for the company, remember that this experience is an opportunity for you to interview the company you are working for and to gage whether you enjoy working for it.

Dress Appropriately. The first week will likely be overwhelming, but it’s a great time to stand out from other interns. You would be surprised, but many interns make fashion mistakes during this transition period. Think back to what your interviewer wore and dress the part for your role. If you are not sure about a certain piece, save it for later in the summer when you have a good sense of the office’s dress code. Check out Louise’s article on business attire here!

Gain Trust Early On. As an intern, your role may not be as glamorous as the company made it sound during your interview. You may spend some time making copies, fetching coffee, taking lunch orders, and arranging meetings. Be sure not to overlook the importance of these tasks. They’re often tests to see how you can handle more significant responsibilities later on during the summer.

It’s All About Your Attitude. Tell yourself that you are important to the company. No, you’re not CEO, but you are just as important in the business as everyone else. When you hit a lull in your work after you finish a big project – believe us, you will – it’s important to show that you can move on to another project with a smile.

Ask for Advice. Keep a pen and notebook on you at all times and ask questions. Your boss will be more impressed with you if you complete the task right the first time. When you ask for advice, make sure to write the answer down. While your co-workers will be happy to help you out, no one wants to answer the same question twice.

Ask for Feedback. During your internship, you will likely have one or two formal reviews. However, it is important for you to understand how you are doing. Don’t be afraid to ask your co-workers what you could do differently or what you can do better. Once you have the feedback, make sure to use it. Your interest in your performance will show your maturity and commitment to the organization.

Demonstrate Your Passion. During your interview, you probably talked about your willingness to learn and desire to make an impact on the organization that hired you. Make sure to show this during your internship. Be the first one in the office and the last to leave. Read, read, read. Stay up-to-date on relevant news stories that might affect your company/understanding of your job.

Take Your Job Seriously. You likely got your internship because you are a stellar student at Bucknell. Make sure to take what has helped you succeed in the classroom to your desk this summer. Remember to check your work, print it out, and check it again, as you did for your English final last semester. Make yourself available to your supervisor, as you did to meet your professor during office hours. Your focus and drive will definitely help you stand out.

Learn the Art of Networking. Get to know your intern class. Take that coffee break with your boss even if you have a ton of work to do. Sign up for the company’s softball team. If you’re 21, make sure you make it to your group’s Happy Hour. As you learned at Bucknell, relationships are extremely important. Plus, knowing your co-workers on a personal level will make the hours spent in the office more enjoyable.

Stay in Touch. Write thank you emails immediately after you’re done with your internship. But don’t stop there: send postcards, friendly “hey, how’s (the company)?” notes, and even holiday cards. You never know where the connections you have made will take you…

Most importantly fellow collegiettes, remember that you’re not alone on this adventure; there are thousands of other interns pursuing the same journey. Although the transition from college to the workplace is not easy, we can assure you that this summer will be an incredible learning experience filled with personal and professional growth. When you’re having a rough day, step back, reflect, and remember to breathe. We hope that your internship is everything you hoped it would be, but if it is not, remember that you’ll be back at Bucknell for another great semester in about 100 days.

Loren Jablon is an Accounting and Financial Management major at Bucknell University from Hewlett, New York. She LOVES Her Campus (she's been reading the national site since its launch!) and could not be more excited to be a copy editor of Bucknell's page. Aside from Her Campus, Loren is the President of Bucknell Student Government, a member of the school's Alumni Board of Directors, and spends her summer interning on Wall Street.