What to Sip and What to Ditch: Healthy Starbucks Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

We all love sipping on different coffee beverages, but it is quite concerning when you realize how many calories are actually in your drink. Some of our most popular drinks from Starbucks and other coffee shops end up being to around 700 calories! Not all coffee drinks are necessarily bad to drink, but there are so many different healthy alternatives that do just the trick for you.

Instead of giving you a list of all the drinks that are bad for you, here is a list of drinks that are 200 calories or less :

Warm Drinks (Tall):

1. Brewed Coffee: (5 Calories, 0 grams of fat)
  2. Skinny Vanilla Latte (100 calories, 0 grams of fat, 15 grams of carbohydrate, 10 grams of protein) You will get a good amount of protein, and it is still a good way to start your daily routine.
  3. Skinny Cappuccino (66 calories, 0 grams of fat, 9 grams of carbohydrate, 6 grams of protein).
  4. Skinny Chai Tea Latte (180 calories, 2 grams of fat)
  5. Café Americano (10 calories, 0 grams of fat)

Cold Drinks (Tall):

1. Teavana Shaken Iced Passion Tango Tea (0 Calories, 0 grams of fat)
  2. Iced Skinny Latte (60 Calories)
  3. Iced Skinny Mocha (100 calories) this is almost as if you are drinking a mini dessert, for only 100 calories! Enjoy the bittersweet skinny mocha sauce, espresso and non-fat milk.
  4. Caramel Light Frappuccino (100 calories, 0 grams of fat) If you are craving a frappuccino, but do not know which one to get, this caramel frappucino is perfect for that little sugar boost.
  5. Iced Chai Tea latte (100 calories, 0 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein)

Trust me, I know this must be hard to hear that just a tall coffee drink can be loaded in calories, but don’t worry, there are so many other ways you can cut down on the sugars and calories in some of the drinks that you love. Here are some tips:

• Ditch the whipped cream. These are just empty calories! If you add whipped cream to a mocha, you add an extra of 60 calories and 6 grams of fat!
  • Ditch the whole milk and sip on the skim/soy.
  • Adding ice. Adding any drink with ice will have fewer amounts of calories than when it is hot, because ice has no calories and it waters it down a little.
  • Ditch sugar; use sugar free syrups.  Flavor syrups are quite common extras on coffee drinks, but they are just complete sugar. 

You do not have to completely give up the drinks you love just because of the amount of calories or sugars that are in the beverage. It is just important to know how to order a low calorie coffee drink as an alternative. My favorite drinks recently have been the chai tea latte and the green tea latte. However, after realizing how many calories were in my drink ,I freaked out a little. Drinking a smaller portion instead of large portions with ice is actually better than drinking it completely warm!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com