What to Get Your Mother for Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

May 11th marks the official day to appreciate the most important woman in your life (although it shouldn’t start or end there!). No matter how important she is to you, however, life gets in the way and may often find you giftless just days before Mother’s Day. Although it can be overwhelming trying to find the perfect token of affection for such a wonderful person, here are a few options to help you out!

Something Creative

A standing poem will only take a few minutes to create, but make sure the words that you choose are truly meaningful and special. Place it inside a modern frame to complete the decoration. Maybe add some of your own words and decorate the frame yourself!

Something Simple

Flowers. You can’t go wrong with them. It’s kind of weird to think that we enjoy giving things that sprout out of the dirt, as much as our mothers love to receive them as gifts. Weird concept, great gift!

Something Yummy

Give your sweet mother something sweet! If you’re feeling really ambitious, craft a delicious cupcake bouquet! If she’s health conscious, dark chocolate is a great alternative. Or, you can make her a healthy dessert from the list of 100 Healthy Dessert Ideas from the link below:

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/healthy-dessert-ideas-00412000076052/

Something Useful

I recommend getting your mother something she will certainly make use of. Perhaps a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant, coffee shop, clothing store, etc. Or, get her a gift certificate to your local spa, nail, or hair salon, because every mom is entitled to her “me” time.

Something New

Feeling crafty? Check out the link below for 102 Homemade Mother’s Day Crafts that you can make yourself. I took a look a quite a few of these—they are adorable. Your mother will surely well up in happy tears! Click the link below for some awesome ideas:

http://www.patchworkposse.com/2013/05/102-homemade-mothers-day-gifts-inspiring-ideas-to-make-yourself/

Something Personal

Think about your mother’s interests. Does she like to garden? Maybe you should buy her some new gardening gloves or a new plant. Does she like to cook? Maybe you should get her a new cookbook. Does she like to read? Maybe you should give her one of your personal favorites that reminds you of her. Does she start every morning with a cup of coffee? Maybe she would enjoy a personalized mug. Does she like to volunteer or have an interest in philanthropy? Maybe she would enjoy a donation made in her name.

Ultimately, you can’t go wrong with getting your mother something for Mother’s Day. The fact that you did something special to appreciate her will surely be enough. Also, if all else fails, there’s always the classic breakfast in bed.