The West’s Unfair Media Representation of the Ebola Virus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Ebola. These days, just hearing the word makes many people upset and anxious. For those of you who don’t know, Ebola is a virus that causes hemorrhagic fevers, meaning lots of bleeding and internal organ failure. Infected patients first appear with many of the same symptoms as the flu. A patient may suffer from a fever, joint aches, headaches, chills, and general weakness. Overtime the virus progresses to include severe nausea, vomiting, rashes, red eyes, chest/stomach pain, severe weight loss, and internal bleeding. Patients who get near the point of death may also experience bleeding from other orifices such as the eyes, ears, nose, and rectum. It is highly contagious and can spread from contact with infected bodily fluids or shared needles. From my small knowledge of the disease, it is clear to me that this is an illness to be taken very seriously, as it is painful and fatal.

The worldwide hysteria surrounding Ebola is understood and warranted, as the epidemic continues to spread throughout Western Africa and other countries. However, American news and media sources have wrongly portrayed this health crisis. The fear surrounding the virus has generated mass interest, helping media sources gain attention and sell papers. While I think the media is correct in highlighting the dangers associated with the Ebola virus, I believe their focus is completely off. News sources push us to concentrate on infected Americans and the possible threat of Ebola spreading to our own households. To date, there have been four cases of Ebola in the United States, resulting in just one death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 36,000 Americans die from the flu each year. Furthermore, 52,294 Americans die annually from pneumonia. These numbers are not meant to frighten or intimidate readers, but rather to illustrate a point. Influenza and pneumonia are rather common illnesses that claim countless Americans’ lives annually. These viruses and infections deserve our attention just as much as the Ebola virus does. In fact, it seems that these illnesses warrant even more attention in our community, as the Ebola virus is not relatively prevalent in the United States.

According to the CDC’s latest report of Ebola outbreaks, the first person to test positive for Ebola in the U.S. was a man who had recently traveled to Liberia and returned home to Dallas, Texas. He was officially diagnosed on September 30, 2014 and later passed away on October 8.  On October 10, 2014 a healthcare worker, who had provided care for the infected man in Texas, also tested positive for Ebola. This patient has recovered and was discharged on October 24, 2014. A second healthcare worker in the same Texas area contracted the virus on October 15, but was later discharged on October 28. The last case of Ebola was confirmed on October 23 in New York City with a medical aid worker who had retuned from Guinea. This patient was announced Ebola-free on Tuesday, November 11. This worker had participated and served with the organization Doctors Without Borders in Guinea. This organization has made major progress in helping with the Ebola virus in Africa. They have treated hundreds of people who have been infected with the disease, and helped efforts to contain cases and stop the epidemic. According to their website, there have been 13,263 cases of Ebola in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. Of those cases, there have been 4,959 deaths.

Nearly 5,000 people have died from the Ebola virus in Western Africa and we are worried about ourselves? I commend the work that American aid workers have been doing in Africa, as it is clear that they are making a difference and saving lives. More of that work should be encouraged rather than creating hysteria about our possible contraction of the disease. Sure, Ebola could be a serious threat in the U.S. if our medical systems and political powers are not prepared. However, our technology, innovation, and commitment to health far surpass the powers that any West African country may have. When having conversations about the Ebola virus, consider this: this disease is scary and serious. We must take precaution when dealing with infected patients, and we must try to preserve as many lives as possible. In order to deal with such a tragic and hectic situation, I think it is our responsibility to remain calm and develop plans. We know far too well that the Ebola virus could be a serious threat to our country one day; therefore we have extremely important motivations to help the fight. The United States has always been able to deal with crises well. Therefore I think it is our obligation to aid other countries that are seriously struggling, and spread our knowledge of technology and health abroad.

Gabby is a sophomore political science and women and gender studies double major at Bucknell University. She was born and raised on Long Island, NY with the hopes of owning her own law firm in NYC one day. Gabby has always had a special eye for issues concerning women today, and hopes to convey that passion through her writing. Gabby is extremely politically active and enjoys watching/reading the news, engaging in friendly debate, and making fun of Sarah Palin as much as possible.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com