This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Monday undoubtedly has the worst reputation.  From common expressions such as having “a case of the Mondays” to popular songs voicing the lyrics, “it’s just another manic Monday,” its no wonder the acronym T.G.I.M. has yet to take hold. While Monday has a negative connotation because it signals the end of the weekend, it doesn’t mean you have to go to bed Sunday night dreading the morning. Sometimes, after an extremely sluggish Sunday, I am actually somewhat excited to wake up and start the week off on the right foot. By changing your mindset and looking at the positive aspects, Monday could quickly become your favorite (or second favorite, or maybe third favorite…) day of the week.

Do Some Prep WorkOften times, Mondays can feel overwhelming because we don’t take the baby steps to prepare ourselves for delving back into the workweek.  On Sunday, take 10 to 15 minutes and tidy up your bedroom. Put dirty clothes in the hamper, throw out your weekend trash, and pack up your backpack with the necessary books you’ll need for your Monday classes.  Simply getting in the proper mental mindset will make Monday morning infinitely less stressful.

Tackle A To-Do ListMondays are the perfect day to tackle a to-do list. You will be rested from the weekend and most likely have the energy and stamina to complete some lingering projects, respond to those unattended emails in your inbox, and ultimately start the workweek on the right note. If you spent Friday and Saturday night partying, you will feel refreshed and motivated to be productive when Monday morning finally comes around.

Get Back On A Balanced Diet We are much more likely to indulge in treats on the weekend than during the workweek. Weekends are usually associated with drinking and going out to eat. When you combine the two activities, you are bound to consume more calories than you normally do on your standard weekly routine.  While indulging is fine from time to time, it can also leave you feeling groggy. You also may find yourself having dramatic mood swings from blood sugar spikes and crashes if you’re eating doughnuts for breakfast, rather than your normal Greek yogurt.  If the scale tipped up a little over the weekend, Mondays can be viewed as the perfect way to get back on track, hit the gym, and get back on your normal balanced diet.

Reflect and Appreciate If anything, Mondays are a time when we can truly appreciate the fun and relaxing experiences we had over the weekend.  If it weren’t for Mondays, Friday wouldn’t seem so special. Mondays ultimately keep us grounded, get us back on track after a long weekend, and remind us that sometimes to play hard, we need to work hard first.

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com